Headlight mounting screws

Does anyone know what size the screws are that mount the headlight lenses as used on the original GT40? I don't want to experment with the wrong screw and bugger up the threads.
Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Bill,

You should get lots of input on this one. Each manufacturer does there own thing, however I understand the original cars had countersunk philips nylon screws. Don't quote me on that, it's been a long day!

Cheers

Thanks Ian,
The problem is, that on the original cars they used an aluminum plate laminated in with nut plates and it's tough to get at just to see what nut plate they used. It looks to be an aircraft type. I wonder if the threads are UK or US.

The original cars had nylon nut plates which were part of the kit supplied by Marchal. If you have metal nut plates it is unlikely that they will be anything fancy and will be either metric or UNF or perhaps BA.

If you can't get at the nut plates, get a soft material of approximately the correct diameter (nylon rod or balsa wood) and screw it in. You might be able to work out the thread form from this.

Are you using the original headlights?

Back