Is Heat Really Needed?

I live in Southern California where the winders are very mild. Do you think a heater is really necessary? I know AC is.

Thanks
Bill D

I don't know anyone that sells an A/C package only...
might be less work to install the package as is rather
than re-engineer. Also...resale would probably be easier
if it had both.

MikeD

If you're not going to use it, just leave it unplumbed. It is more to keep air bled out of and possibly add to over heating conditions. The next owner can hook it up if they want to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twocents.gif

Bill

I removed the heater from my car because the connection kept failing and depositing boiling water on my legs! That apart, I did not miss it except that if you are caught out on the road in the rain, then a heater is useful for demisting the windscreen - at least it is in wet old UK.

David

Howard Jones

Supporter
I pluged my heater outlet/return on my waterpump. Mark is correct about bleeding the air from the system. It will be easier without heater plumming.

I live in northern Calif east of SF bay area. We have about 20 or so 100 degree days and as many high 90s. I have never needed the heater but I have worn a light coat in the car at night in the fall. Your problem will be keeping cool, I really don't think you will need a heater.

If you want to solve some problems in advance then plumb the car for a radiator bleed line back to the coolent fill tank. Also you should tap the rear of the intake manifold when you have it off for bleed lines also. This stuff is easy to do during the build stage. They can be a little more work later.

I deliberately didn't connect the heater hoses partly for appearance (one thing less to hide). I have found that anything over 22C (~75F) on a sunny day is unbearably hot without AC. From there and below, the warmth of the engine and pipes keep you warm enough, until you hit the critical point at about 10C (~42C) where on the highway the engine provides no incidental heat at all. A warm jumper and gloves are definitely needed as you approach 0C (32F).

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Might want to think about the need to de-fog the interior windows and windshield. Plumbing isn't really a big deal. I TIG welded two bungs into the rad inlet and exit tubes and used AN fittings back to the core. Food for thought...

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Here are a couple of shots showing how I plumbed the heater into the cooling tubes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IMG_0809.JPG

IMG_0810.JPG

Back