Front number plates.

As it's now time for me to fit some plates on my car I'm trying to work out the best method for the front of the car. I'm not a fan of the sticker type that goes on the nose of the car - any suggestions/pics welcome. I know legally in the UK you are supposed to have one but is anybody driving without ?
Another idea I have seen is to mount some mesh in front of the radiator to protect against stones e.t.c. and fix digits on or spray it on.

Hi Paul,

Friend of mine had a cobra with a scratched up number plate in the boot. The plan was to say "sorry officer it fell off, look I'm just on my way home to fit it back on..."
He never got stopped once in five years!!!!

(of course that would be illegal) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The laws in Australia are quite definite about where and how to fix a front number plate. It goes on-and-on about angles and visibility, but then it ends with a comment about there being an exception where it is impractical to do so. This may not apply in the UK but it may still pay to closely read your rule book... and then it would also pay to keep a copy of the rules in the car for the day when you get pulled over.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A small aluminium bracket, fixed inside the nose will make the numberplate as unobtrusive as possible (and I don't think causes any cooling problems) the front plate has been fixed to both my GTD's this way, although it must be said the B&W plates look MUCH better
Simon

Attachments

• 71512-number-plate-1.jpg
    71512-number-plate-1.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 291
See pictures of plates I made for Robin and Andrew on my website. These are a made on a very light frame to which the numbers are fixed, air can pass through this structure to the radiator, which is painted black to make the legal background. Never had a heat related problem and legal. Frank

Brian Magee

Supporter
Paul

Another idea. Have you got Fortification No.61? It has a picture of Max's car on the front. He has no number plate as such, it just has plastic numbers and letters attached to the grill mesh.

Brian.

Crikey is it really that much ? I was thinking maybe the stainless woven mesh. Anybody ever had stones damage their rad or is it me just being paranoid ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoke.gif

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
I got away with no front plate for a year, but then decided that was enough of asking for trouble.

So I did much the same as Simon, but mounted the plate on 2 very thin bent s/s brackets. The plate stands up at a reasonable angle when the car is stationary, but only takes the slightest pressure to get it to lie down almost flat.

I tried to figure out a way of using hinges & springs, but that all got too hard - hence the "springy brackets".

Whilst I haven't yet got around to getting someone to take a photo at speed to prove it works, I have found that it has made absolutely no difference to the coolant temps at all - even during our heat-wave conditions over the last month or so (over 35degC).

Its cheap & easy (but I do like Simon's friend's approach of the scratched up plate - so cheeky) !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

[ QUOTE ]
even during our heat-wave conditions over the last month or so (over 35degC)

[/ QUOTE ]
You can go off people you know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Simon

[ QUOTE ]
(but I do like Simon's friend's approach of the scratched up plate - so cheeky)!

[/ QUOTE ]

I too like the cheek of attempting the suggestion, however my experience of PC plod is less than forgiving and if the area where the plate was supposed to 'have just fallen from' was as clean or dirty as the surrounding area, I don't think they'd buy it! - they ain't as stupid as we would sometimes think... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif(mostly!)... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I would have thought a 'flip-down-flip-up' plate could be arranged fairly easily using the sort of return spring fitted to a throttle shaft (not sure of type name)...

another edit -

just looked up the spring type - 'torsion'

view them at http://www.engineersedge.com/spring_torsion_calc.htm

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Instead of springs

What about a number plate hinged at the top and hanging in the opening of the "mouth"

As the car moves the number plate would swing back with air pressure and return curtesy of gravity!

Only problem would be if you park the car nose to the wind in a force 5 gale!

Ian

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Chris
Yes exactly the same
I was posting at work - hit reply and then "work" got in the way for 15 mins before I finished typing and hit submit!

I hate when WORK gets in the way of important stuff!

Ian

Keith

Well that's what I would go for - sounds as if it would be quite simple to "tune" as well.

I know, we'll call it the "Koubian" Number Plate System in both your honour's. Respect. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flehan.gif

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
I used to own a slant nose Porsche with the front plate suspended with two plastic wire ties. Plate moved with the wind. Was stopped only once when the plate hung up out of sight. Mount was simple and clean with no visible holes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twocents.gif

Back