original seat material

If anyone could help on this one it wouid be great.

The 1075 & 1076 cars the race seats that they ran ( not the production seat )the seat material used
has a nylon shimmer to it .
Does anyone know what cloth was used on these seats.

I would post a pic but I cant find it.

Jim C

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I recall it was "ripstop nylon" Problem is it is no longer legal in new cars nor in most racing series as it melts and burns. Nylon is a real problem in a fire as it melts onto AND into your skin. SCCA banned nylon years ago when guys were wearing sneakers to race in and in a fire the material melts into your foot and fills in between your toes requiring very painful debriding (sp?) -basically they must rip the skin and affected flesh off your bones! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Does look the part though....

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

There is a fire retardent alternative available that looks almost identical, but I cannot remember the name. When side by side it has a slightly less shiny look to it, but if you saw it on its own you probably wouldn't know the difference.

Last time I saw it, it was being advertised for aircraft seats. Maybe try doing a web search for that.
Also, another thought. What material are parachutes made from these days ??
I would think they are fire retardent too, and should look the same.

Hope that helps.

Nomex I never even gave that a thought.

I shall check those avenues thanks guys.

Jim.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Hi

the original seats in my car are made using hot air balloon material supplied by Per Lindstrom, this is the guy that flew with Richard Branson.
I will post photo later.

Regards

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Did you received my latest mails ?

Is there a way I can get hold of the supplier and could you tell us how much of this fabric we would need for 2 seats?
I have someone overhere who could refurbish my seats.
Tx
Fred

Hi Fred

Yes, I received your mails and will respond but have had really busy GT40 weekend with several of the guys.

I got my seats already assembled from the guy that originally made them, unfortunately he has now passed away and these were the last seats that he made so I cant give you quantities, you will have to search the web for Per Lindstrom balloon company

Regards

Chris.…

seat

Attachments

• 72422-GT40seat.jpg
    72422-GT40seat.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 325
Here is a pic of an original set of seats for those who want to see them. If I can be of any more help getting these made let me know.

Last edited:

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Chris, John,

Thanks for posting pics of the original seats. Definately for the purists. Most enthusiasts expect something more of a seat, regardless that the originals worked quite well.

So hot air balloon material would be flame retardant, does's the FIA recognize this material?

Thanks again.

Chris M - those seats look great! However, in the interest of originality, you don't have enough holes/grommets. In the photo by cushmancomp - there are clearly 6x24 = 144 vent holes per seat. Looks like yours only has 6x22 = 132.

Just kidding of course!! I couldn't help myself - I had to count how many holes there were!

Again - great looking seats. Do you have any pics of your overall project?

Obsessively-Compulsively yours,
Mitch D

hi Mitch

Jay's seats are made for American drivers to cope with the extra beans they consume?
Just kidding /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
regards

Chris.

PS. most race car seats I think are designed to fit individual drivers, I would think some adjustment would have been necessary for tall guys like Dan Gurney against shorter guys like Ickx and Oliver. In fact driver teams would have been matched for size back in the sixties.

Modern day Le Mans drivers have drop in custom made seats switched during driver changes.

I will be posting build photos when I start the build, I still have a few parts to get. Its nice to have all the pieces of the jigsaw. I have had my uprights, peddle box and steering rack machined. my engine short block is complete and ready for the Weslake heads and sump installation.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Chris. Those seats are superb. I tried with mine to be as close as possible and came up with 120 holes. About double the usual replica seat but still a bit short. Great work. Regards

Back