Do Moderators have the wright to delete post !

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Recently, I have spoken out regarding the RF company with concerns for the customer. Robert the owner and moderator felt that it was his right to delete the post becasue he did'nt like it because it may hurt his reputation. What are fews about this? Was he justified to do it because it may hurt his reputation? What Happend to freedom of speach! Why don't he delete the positive threads? Or the negitive threads to other companies. It surly is obvious that this forum was developed For the sole pupose of promoting Robert's company and ego!

Regards Oliver

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Oliver,
The "RF" area is moderated by Robert aand paid for by him. I would assume that Ron has given Robert the power to "trim" as he sees fit. If you have an issue, post it in the "consumer affairs" area or in the off-topic area.

If I were paying for the "Wallaby Balloonfoot GT" area and you posted sumpthin' I didn't like I would euthanize your post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bash.gif

It is Ron's call.

Rick

I am the Moderator for this section of the Forum. I will gladly take bribes (Cash, no PayPal) and delete anyone/anything you need deleted. Since Robert is the Moderator for the RF section of the forum, I suggest you offer him money, or “other services” for restating the deleted tread.

As for freedom of speech, it is only encouraged in this section of the forum. Your causticity, poor spelling and ill manor will be welcomed & tolerated in this section of the forum.

I would be glad to discuss the “relationship” between RF and the creation of the GT40s.com. But,, Due to the hefty bribe I received from the Administrator, I can not do so at this time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flamed.gif

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Oliver

I believe Ron answered and no the posts should not be deleted - if the moderators deem fit they can move the thread to another board.

BUT free speach should not be silenced!

For those not reading this today Ron's answer is here
http://www.gt40s.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/72297/an/0/page/0#72297

Oliver I also never said rude - I commented the posts were in you normal manner and that I fairly well ignored them - I was more interested in the topic of the thread I do not consider Roberts actions in the general spirit of this forum

my 2c

Ian

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Re: Do Moderators have the right to delete posts!

I think any deleted posts should be re-instated for all to read as originally intended. Any censorship, apart from a submission deemed clearly to be obscene, can only be deemed as Orwellian and should be exposed as such. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beat.gifMy 2 Eurocents.

I once thought this forum was populated with adults. Yes it is an open forum and people should be free to express themselves. Common sense tells me that Oliver is an unhappy guy,regarding his relationship with RF40s. So take what he says as his view. He does not speak for anyone else. He just thinks he does. His attacks on RF don't belong in the RF section. If he believes what he is saying, he should be posting in the consumer watch section or the off topics, were he can deal with King Farhad. I don't blame Robert for dumping him, although moving the topic to another section would have been appropriate. Oliver is just a big winger and should be regarded as such. When we start hearing from other RF buyers directly we should listen. One blow hard should not undo all of the good thoughts and support most of us have for Robert Logan and his efforts. Guys like Ray Christopher, Robert Logan, Peter Ransom, Phil and Peter at ERA and others like them are the reason we are all lucky enough to be driving these cars. They have done more to bring about the revival of the GT40 than most and certainly don't need to have the likes of Oliver as there task masters. I will give Oliver his due - he did cancel his order (once he found a good deal on a used one). Ignore him.

[ QUOTE ]
Guys like Ray Christopher, Robert Logan, Peter Ransom, Phil and Peter at ERA

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know anything about the above mentioned Infidels,
40Bud is the only guy I pay homage to (everytime I look in to the garage)regarding my GT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flehan.gif

John B

Temp Selling Pass

You folks are right you should read my post and take or leave it. However,it is a big concern with many RF customers and not just me. Alot of the customers have sent me pm's regarding my post. A majority were thanking me for asking questions that the normal people won't. Most people are conservitve in this forum and don't wish to make waves. I too am coservitive. But when i was lied to and to see other customers being lied to it make me furious. Like I stated before the post regarding delivery times was view and replied to the most out of all the topics. Even today I had pm's from individuals that are still asking about their car. WhEN they e-mail me and not The yes boy hershal ...i don't know. I would guess that they don't get straight anserws like i did from hershal. I just want the customer not to be maipulated like I was. Why do I carE or should carE. I don't know. When you see updated POST from RCR or CAV or SPF, they are staright forward straight shoters. Nobody can be mad. Those companies care for there customers. And they will get more by word of mouth and this forum. When a new customer reads and reserches a company they will read the thread and make a decision. Yes they may disregard my threads but it will also be in thier mind of why the threads were posted. Somthing happend! people don't just post negitive threads for no reason. When good things were happening with Rf I commended them for that. I'm not out to get RF. I just wnat them to step up and be as proffesional as the other companies. That is all!

Best regards OLIVER

FAILI!!! YOUR CHECK IS IN THE MAIL!

Ron Earp

Admin

Faili,

I think the creation of www.gt40s.com has been covered in other threads. It essentially came out of a discussion that I had with Hershal when I met him at Knott’s Farm (met him in Texas before that) and Robert (first time meeting him) during that same time period. All of us thought GT40s people needed a place to discuss GT40s, just like the Cobra folks. It was, and still is a good idea. Since I had moderated usenet text forums before there was an internet, and I had the skills needed to get something like this running, I decided to get this thing off the ground. So, I set out on my own and created a test forum using a free server and that forum can be found here:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/127426/

That forum existed about two months or so. After it was clear to me that a GT40s forum could thrive I bought the domain names, registered them on servers, bought some software and got it going. Since then it has gone through lots and lots of versions and packages to get where it is today and I do the work for free. Roaring Forties did not pay for the forum, own the forum, or anything else. Roaring Forties does not and will not get preferential treatment on the forum – they pay for their advertising and forum just like the other kind supporters. And, I don’t receive anything from Roaring Forties with one exception – in 2001 Robert did not have a very good website for Roaring Forties. In exchange for a set of pin drive wheels and adapters, I created a website for him (which still wasn’t that good but a lot better than the one he had). Using the Internet Wayback machine you can see it here, I’m sure some will remember it (a lot of graphics don’t work on the archives).

http://web.archive.org/web/20011130142342/http://www.roaringforties.com.au/

The only relationship that I have with Roaring Forties is that they have money from me to build and deliver a turnkey minus car to my specifications. The forum is free and clear of influence from manufacturers and members. I am friends with Hershal, Robert, and Jerry, sure, but I treat them as I do the other agents on the board and you’ll find I generally don’t enter into conversations about “which car is best” with the exception (and mistake) of posting on general market conditions on that ERA thread some weeks ago, which I’ll never do again (http://www.gt40s.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/70759/an/0/page/0#70759).

I strongly believe the forum should be a place of free speech. I’ve been threatened three times on the forum - a racer tried to sue me over something someone said on the forum, a member tried to sue me for loss of money for some posts he made and wanted me to remove, and some bloke from Italy wanted to sue me because something was said about his character from some other chap located across the pond. In all of the cases I refused to budge and remove the posts. I removed a post some years ago, I can’t remember over what, but I remember it being a bad idea and something that I regretted. Since then the only posts that have been deleted are corruption issues with the threads, that joker that posted a ton of spam over a weekend, and one or two I personally have put up asking a questions that were for short term like the one I posted last week about information regarding military medals that my just then deceased uncle earned.

So, in short I don’t think moderators should be able to delete posts and I personally feel it is the wrong thing to do. I’ve corrected the error (my fault) that allowed moderators to delete posts. That is no longer possible for a moderator to do.

David, unfortunately unless the board is closed and posted deleted it is not possible to re-instate them. I don’t know when the posts got deleted since I didn’t see them, but I know the board was open all day thus they are gone. Again, I’m sorry for the problem but it will not happen again.

The forum is a wonderful thing that brings the opportunity for all of us to interact over something for which we share a passion. It has made the world smaller and brought like minded people closer together. I also think it has improved the GT40 industry and caused manufacturers to further perfect their product as well as offer a better product for the money. The forum also brings a transparency to the industry which is generally a good thing.

In these sorts of discussions I end up being the middle man, or administrator, but that is what I signed up to do. And I will do it, impartially, and objectively.

Best,
Ron

Ron Earp

Admin

Just to clear something else up - I had someone email me and ask me what I did when someone asked me personally what sort of car they should purchase. In those cases I do not say A or B, but simply ask what they are looking for and suggest cars to look at and include as many cars as I can around their location. With the division of monos and space frames this is an easier job than one might think and I simply try to point people at manufactuers as best I can.

I'm aware that people think there is a disposition toward RF on the forum. However, I do not perpetuate that nor do I really see it. RF is simply active on the forum with Hershal, Jerry, and Robert posting, but I don't see that as a bad thing in most cases. They've always had a manufactuer's forum and have a large knowledge base built up. Fran posts a good bit and has a lot to offer, in both cars and knowledge, and I'm glad he participates. I wish that folks from CAV, Tornado, Superformance, ERA, etc. would also actively post and share but each manufactuer must make up his/her own mind. I know a lot of cars are on order from RCR and Superformance and as soon as more of them hit the streets I think folks will see more posts about these cars thus reducing the "perceived imbalance" toward RF.

Best,
Ron

Ronald,

I hope you did not take my hints/comments regarding you and RF in “bad light”. I am sure by now you know that my principal interest in this forum is to tease and harass the pompous Ass, extremely rich portion of the audience here (no more than 5%, I would guess). GT40, is just another pretty car to me, nothing more nothing less.

My feelings towards GT40 Manufacturers is the same as my attitude towards buying new cars from FORD/GM/Toyota, I rather buy a used car from an individual.

I also enjoy from time to time getting on your case simply because you are the creator/Imam/Ayatollah/president of the forum. This has nothing to do with anything you have or have not done. On the contrary, you are one the best moderators I have ever come across (OK enough kissing your Carolina behind).

The only valid criticism I have of you is that, I am still here!!! Why have I not been kicked off?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

AND LAST, how dare you move this tread from the best section, OFF TOPICS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/offtopic.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wrongforum.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beat.gif

Keith

Hey Ron, sorry to stray off topic a bit, but looking at your list of forum moderators, what happened to Master Earl? Haven't seen him around in a while.

Sorry folks, carry on... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beat.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flamed.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soapbox.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flamer.gif

Ron Earp

Admin

Faili,

I didn't really mean the thread to target you with creation of the forum and explanations behind things. I simply know from emails people have sent me that folks think the forum is "RF run" or "slanted toward RF" and that is not the case. Maybe if I didn't have an RF car on order it might be different, but maybe not. So, I wanted to explain my position and a little about the forum for all to see. It was just convenient that you mentioned knowing about the forum in your post.

And, this unfortunate situation with deleted posts, Oliver throwing fuel on fires, some members liking it, other hating it, well, it all puts me in a rather tenacious position. There are many, many, many agendas on the forum from all sorts of directions. My job is essentially to keep us as netural as possible, with as much free speech as possible. I apprecaite the vote of confidence on moderation though and as far as being here, well, you are an institution now so you can't leave!

PS-I thought the thread better served here since it would allow people to see the forum position on the situation. Members as a whole I think want an open forum as much as possible with moderation only needed when things just get downright overly agressive with no real content. So far that hasn't happened, but I can see where it might end up there with continued posts regarding the same issue with no new content or input.

PS-on the moderators many need to be deleted. They just aren't here enough to help or do much, and some just don't know what to do. I'll tend to that as well. Thansk for reminding me.

Ron

John B

Temp Selling Pass

Why Is faili calling ROBERT apompus ass. Such name calling should be a reason to be banned. Should I start calling certian people F a holeS..

Ron YOU MUST put a stop to this before it gets out of hand /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cussing.gif
Oliver

Oliver

Would you please let this go - I think your point has been made and it is time to move on

David

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Guys like Ray Christopher, Robert Logan, Peter Ransom, Phil and Peter at ERA

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know anything about the above mentioned Infidels,
40Bud is the only guy I pay homage to (everytime I look in to the garage)regarding my GT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flehan.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Faili - 'seek and thee shall learn grasshopper' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm surprised you know little of Ray Christopher since he is MR GTD.... with a long line of car builds to his name.
His story from inspirational 'Hot Rod' builder to GT40 fame and beyond has been serialised in the club magazine this year. Read part 1 starting on page 18 of the Spring 2005 mag that can be downloaded FROM THIS LINK.

Also - Ask Bud - I'm sure he has a tale or two tell of Ray, especially as he invited Ray 'over' to drive some years back.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Keep Smiling! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sir Thompson,

As you know I am an Infidel of the highest order, hence no disrespect intended towards Ray or the others mentioned. I meant to say that, I had no business dealings with the individuals.

As far as Bud Jones is concerned, he is the undisputed Imam of the GTDs in Northern Cali. HE IS A FANTASTIC person /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW, I think the club magazine should be issued at no cost to all Moderators (who own GTDs)on this Froum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif
I for one enjoyed the spring 2005 edition while having a Cup of Darjeeling with cucumber sandwiches /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoke.gif

Cheers,

Keith

O, unlearn-ed Kalifornian One and Infidel of the Highest Order. You will never become learn-ed if you don't familiarise yourself with the ways and customs of the men with White Knees. The most correct address for the exalted Thompson sahib would if course be, Sir Paul, not Sir Thompson.

Would your grapes always be most fragrant and your 'GT shine like the noonday sun... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flehan.gif

Back