Hood fasteners

Ron McCall

Supporter
Can anyone post pictures of how the Dzus fastener retainers attach to the front clip? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif
Thanks

Hi Ron,

I have yet to master posting photos but i'll get some for you ASAP. On an RF car the dzus fastner retainers are held onto the rear side of the front clip with small counter sunk stainless screws with nylocks on the underside. Will post photo soon?
Hope this info in the meantime assists,

Regards, Andrew

Ron Here are some photos. Hope these help!

First One: Outside of front clip

Attachments

• 72897-DSC02443.JPG
    72897-DSC02443.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 302

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Ron -

Don't forget that IF you want to mount the tabbed original style DZUS fastners you must align the mounting so the slot is running the lenght of the car. Look at the old thread about the DZUS Fobs as well.

Sandy

Ron McCall

Supporter
Thanks Andrew! That's just what I wanted to see!
I would like to know what length fasteners also.
Sandy,
I'm not using the tabbed fasteners so it won't be an issue.Thanks though.

Ron & Julian
The Dzus fastners are approx 20mm in length.
Sandy,
Seen on previous posts the work you have done with tabbed fastners which look good as well. I have already mounted mine hince bit hard to redrill and relocate. Appreciate the originality of the tabbed fasteners. Also had some private reservations with tabbed fastners from a sercurity view point.
Regards Andrew

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I think a few that wanted the tabbed Dzus found out that they had them mounted differently and would be a pain to move after the paint and body work was done. They are mostly just a fun thing and look sort'a retro.

Sandy

Am I seeing something everyone else is missing? Looking at the final picture from Andrew up above - I'd recommend the following. Don't remount the whole assembly which require re-drilling, filling holes, etc), why not just re-bend the "S" shaped wire element to have the segment that goes across the hole in the correct orientation to align the external screw slot (so your tab is aerodynamically directed).

If you can't re-bend the existing 'wire', then buy some stainless wire of the appropriate diameter and make your own to suit.

Okay - now you can tell me to pull my head out of my butt because __________(insert appropriate answer here to tell someone like me that has never touched a Dzus fastener why I'm out of my mind)

Have a good weekend everyone,
Mitch D

This is perfect timing as I wanted to know how/where to mount them. Thanks

Sandy-are you fabing original style Dzus afsteners? If so, we need to talk.

Thanks
Bill D

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Like Andrew, I had some reservations about the security of the 1/4 turn Dzus jobs. I had mounted them all & was a bit surprised at how easily they popped up. All the talk of high pressure under the front clip had me worried, so I changed them all so that the original Dzus mount plate was retained, but the core fastener was replaced by a simple 6mm c/s s/s socket drive bolt.

These run into nutserts/rivnuts in aly brackets under the clip & have proven to be rock solid (with the advantage that you can just wind them in as required so that you can align the nostril/clip & clip / windscreen frame surfaces perfectly).

Not 100% original to look at with the socket drives, but you could use straight slotted bolts (maybe 8mm) & nobody would know.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Mitch - That might just work for the folks that have them at a different angle. Just would be a matter of getting some nice hard wire and being able to bend it to a useable shape. The wire is pretty hard and that might be the only issue.

Happily, well maybe sadly, since I don't have a car or anything mounted hopefully won't be an issue /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

For security from a theft/tampering problem not too worried about it. And from a securing the hood, since the Dzus fastners have been in use from the 1930's the design is pretty well tested. Dzus's have been used on critical panels on airplane, race cars, etc for many years. That being said other good fasterns exist, Camloc, DIY, Duck tape...

As long as they are mounted correctly (depth, safe and solid mount point) should not be a problem.

Sandy

Back