dissasemble an 016 quattro box

Hi guys perhaps you can help, i am trying to take apart my 016 quattro box, trying to figure out how it works, basically i have a 016 quattro box from an 1985 car, and i have the rear lockable diff, the plan is to use the 016 as a rear engine unit driving the rear wheels, and through a transfer case send the drive that used to go to the rear up front as a 4wd system.
I have the box half apart but can't get the gear set to come out of the cast iron housing.I have removed all screws and plugs, still it does not budge.I am trying to resolve how it all works i have found that,the pinion turns the shaft that goes down the hollow tube to the centre of the centre diff, somehow the direction gets reversed and the rear flange shaft connects to that shaft,when the centre diff is locked the pinion then turns the rear shaft in the same direction.
The car had a control knob on the dash that controls the gearbox and diff through a series of vacumn servos it would appear that the control had 3 positions: 1 nothing locked, 2 centre diff locked, and 3 centre and rear diff locked, as i have rear tyres that are .9" taller than the front tyres i wonder if as long as i don"t try to lock the centre diff or the old rear diff will the drive be split 50/50 front to rear,will the centre diff take up the difference in wheel size, i have spent months researching for info and finally thought that pulling the box apart may be the only way to work it all out, any help apprieciated.

Regards
GraemeS

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Graeme,

Whereabouts are you?

I have copied this for you from exactly a year ago." re Audi 016 question". Not sure whether it will help or not?

[ QUOTE ]
Eric
Four Tenths

Quick Reply

Ok, I have been kind of secret about this and have just been sending them out to people I see ask. If anyone wants a manual for their transmission (dont have ZF), let me know, the one for the 016 is 6mb, cant remember the g50. If you seriously think that one day you will tear your tranny down, send me an email and I will send you the files. If you want it just to have it, send me a PM and when I have a moment I will send it.

[email protected]

[/ QUOTE ]

Regards,

Thanks, for the help, i'm down under in New Zealand, I do have the manual from eric but it only covers the standard 016 trans. Also if anyone would like it I do have the workshop manual in pdf format for the 01e standard and quattro boxes, just drop me an email and i can send it over.its about 7mb .If someone has a section from an owners manual from the glovebox, and can get me the part that explains the operation of the gearbox and the selector on the dash that would be great, thanks Mark for the offer of the pages does it cover the Quattro version, i'm trying hard not to disassemble the box unless I have to. I already have a garage full of dead things I have taken apart, for some reason they don't always go back together as easily as they come apart hehe

Best Regards
GraemeS

Wow, my first post in a long time. If I remember right, getting the 2 to separate was a pain. I beleive you need to get the shifting shafts out first. Knock out the roll pins, then pull the shafts out, let the fork fall. It has been awhile. I can look around and see if I have the quattro stuff, send me an email so I remember.

Back