SVA test CAV GT

My CAV gt40 is due to undergo the SVA test next Wednesday. I think I have checked and modified all potential failure points with the help of the SVA manual and Frank Catt. The test will be carried out at the Bristol center and any feedback on this office would be welcome.
The test is booked for the ungodly time of 8am!. This means I will have to set off at 7am and as I intend to drive my car to the test center,I will be waking up the whole neighbourhood.

If everything goes to plan then another GT40 could be roaring through the sleepy villages of Somerset very soon!.

I will put up a post of the test next week. Wish me luck.

Best of luck with the test - I think as long as the car is well presented and you have a good attitude with them they enjoy testing these cars as it's a little more exciting than the coaches and wagons they normally test.
Alot also depends on the particular tester you get and what they actually do or don't notice on the car - amongst other things my brake bias bar wasn't noticed !

D

DavidTC

Hi
Interested to know how you got on with the SVA since I will be facing the same in Newcastle in Mat also with a CAV GT. Any advice on special points for attention will be gratefully received.
David

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I will let you know the outcome on Thursday. Perhaps you guys can help me in one important matter. I am having problems aliginign the headlamps,these are cibie units with h4 bulbs. I have installed the mounting bracket and spacers at the back of the headlamps. At maximum downwards adjustment (using the adjuster screws at the front of the headlamp), the dipped beam is still above the horizontal. Have I installed the lights correctly?.
Your help would be greatly appreciated as I need to sort this out before the SVA test on Wednesday.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi
Presumably you have raised the front suspension to get the lights at the minimum height of 50cm.

If you have, did you also raise the rear or you car will be running seriously nose up and be taking up all the adjustment.

Just one possibility

Ian

The CAV headlite brackets are marginal at best, I got a newer set from AutoFutura but I still had to shim the brackest to get the adjustment correct. It really doesn"t take very long, I used tubing the same diameter as the legs on the bracket and got the rough adjustment that way and then I was able to use the adjusting screws to finish the job.

I am happy to report that my CAV GT passed the SVA today at the third attempt!. I will be going to the local DVLA office to register the car. Then the fun starts.

Hi,
Congratulations on passing the test. Now you just have to get past the jobs-worth at the dvla office. i took my RF to the bristol office. Pains in the backside!! Be cautious of them!

jerry

Back