New CAV Owner

I have just purchased a CAV Roller # 89 from Roy @ VIP Classics in San Diego. I should have it here in NJ in a few weeks.I plan on street driving it and putting in on a track, if they actually do build one here in Millville, NJ. It is set up for a Ford 302 and ZF Transaxle. I have several questions.

How do you recommend registering it here in NJ?

What do I need to do to make it street legal?

I am planning on doing the installs in my shop and I am looking for advise on what I will need and where to buy the components.

I looked at the fordracingparts.com 302 stroked to 342 delivering 400HP. Any experience?

I like the looks of the Weber carbs but do not want to adjust them constanly. I saw the fuel injected manifold with throttle bodies from VeryCoolParts.com. Anyone have any experience with this?

I spoke to Lloyd at RBT for a ZF 5 speed. Any suggestions on set up and ratios?

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Joe,

Welcome aboard! Looks like more CAVs east of the Mississippi. Just about everything you're asking about we are currently into with our customers.

There's a ton of information on the forum about induction systems, transaxles, race car setups etc. by searching those keywords here. It's good to get a broad based opinion on those topics.

About the CAVs in particular, we've gotten to know the cars very well and are here to assist any way possible and hopefully keep you from wasting time or money on an issue that we've already worked through. "Been there done that" as they say.

You're really going to enjoy the CAV GT40 and your dual purpose - road and track usage mirrors what we're doing right now with our demo car build, so please don't hestitate to call anytime, and it's toll free.

The RBT is a good choice, stick with the 4:22 ring and piniom, the geatring will be perfect for your 343 and will handle more power when you want to upgrade.

Joe,
Welcome to the world of GT40's. I own CAV mono #1 and am running the ZF with the fuel injection from Very Cool Parts. The fuel injection works great once you have it programmed. If you search around you can find some pictures of my engine set-up on the forum. Good luck with the build!

Back