Turn on the Heat!

Hi all,

My CAV was built in Honolulu and apparently, the heating system was never set up.
Well, now that it's in New York, it would be nice to have it for those crisp 40 degree drives. Before I dig into the plumbing system, Can snyone enlighten me as to how these are usually set up? I just finished sorting out a wiring nightmare and couldn't figure out how the middle detent on the panel switch (off, heat, a/c) is wired.

Thanks
Ray

My Chassis is *56, top position is off, middle is AC, bottom is heat, The knob that is around the heater switch is the Temperature control, max AC is full clockwise and max heat full clockwise(when the toggle switch is in heat position). The heater control valve is vacuum operated off the Temp control switch. Be sure that the hoses are securely attached to the vacuum servo on the heater control valve. How much engine vacuum you have available will determine the efficiency of the heater, does not affect the AC.
If your water hoses are not connected that is pretty easy to fix also.

Thanks David,

I crawled under there today and found the vacuum switch hose disconnected and the valve full off. So I just manually opened the valve and I got heat, confirming that the hoses were plumbed. Next, I reconnected the vacuum hose to what appeared to be the switch but haven't tested the of/on switch procedure and sequence you mentioned.
That's strange, my manual says switch should be: top=off, middle=heat, and bottm=A/C. I checked and it's correct,

Ray /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back