Ratios/RPM/MPH

A little help for the rookie please:

If I used a 930 tranny with these ratios what MPH per RPM could I expect using 27" tires in top gear?
19:33, 23:30, 26:26, 29:23 with a 9:38 R/P

Thanks
Rob

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I used this program, easy download and install, no microsoft excel required...

http://locost7.info/gearcalc.php

I also have somewhere excel from that trans as I have one in the RCRGT40 that is going together if this doesn't work let me know I can dig it up...

Sandy

Sandy, come on, the formula is so simple, and if you want to see a chart with all the speeds, etc, MS Excel is actually pretty nice.

here's the basics, Rob:

MPH = (RPM * Tire Radius)/(Final-Gear-Ratio*168)

Final Gear ratio is gear ratio * final drive
Tire Radius in inches

or Solving for RPM we have

RPM = 2*FGR*168*MPH/D

Mitch D

Thanks Sandy and Mitch,

I used Sandy's deal, it was easy,fast, I could plug and play. Sandy, I was at RCR not to long after your visit, I am thinking on a 930 because like you I dont want to blow the thing if I get a little (OK a LOT) over exuberent. I don't know if this group offers private mail but I'd like to talk to you about your tranny if you wouldnt mind.

Thanks
Rob

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Just click on my name I think you will get to the Private mail area, or you can just use sganz [at] pacbell.net

If I did the formulas into excel it likely would become a week long project of graphing, gear change charts, etc. The little program is nice and simple and all I had to do was be lazy and use it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I do have a nice one that I got from Emco gears but almost overkill. This one was just right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm a lazy software engineer, and as such I'll happily reuse other work to save time for other things /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Sandy

I was just kidding a bit, Sandy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif That tool you posted is terrific. Sometimes it's handy to know how to calculate manually too.

I was with Oracle during it's halcyon days for more than 10 yrs, so I know what you mean about using "prepackaged" applications. You'll get no disagreement out of me regarding the benefits of using something already written by someone else.

Mitch D /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Mitch - I know you were, I'm just jacked up on coffee today as I was up late working on the Cobra trying to get it out of my garage. Oracle, hmm, need a job DBA/DBE work available /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

When Ron does up the new site I think things like this (useful links etc) should be promoted to a seperate section or something like Yahoo Groups has for downloads. Just an idea.

Sandy

Here are two decent sources for automath.
1) "smokemup.com" Good web site, with many HP calculations, acceleration and ET formulas (you just fill in the blanks), air/fuel/injector requirements for xxx HP etc.
Some stuff is free, the rest (including drag strip trees and competing against the computer) comes for $5.00 per 3 month subscription.
2) For the do it yourselfers, there's the 'Automath' handbook by John Lawlor. Old, but there are formulas for everything from Optimum shift points to MPH per RPM, CR, Brake and indicated horsepower vs. torque and on and on.

Check them out.
Alohas, Mike

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Here is another one from the creators of the Mega Squirt EFI (Bruce bowling and Al Grippo).

http://www.bgsoflex.com/auto.html

The have lots of standard calcs as well as some odd ones like 'Design your own Internal Combustion engine' stuff like that. Free too. The web is a nice thing!

Sandy

Back