Geographic Forum Sections

Ron Earp

Admin
Folks,

Is it worth it to have some new forums that are based on geographic location? You know, a GT40 USA forum, GT40 Australia Forum, GT40 UK Forum? Reason is through a conversation with a forum member he seems to think there might be a need for geographic forums to address certain issues based on location. We can easily do it and accomidate it, looking for some feedback pros and cons.

Thanks!
Ron

Hi Ron
What "certain issues, based on location"? - are we talking from a legal viewpoint or something less sinister?

I can understand there are time differences, regulation differences etc etc, But I for one would not want to read input/postings from say just UK members, only to have to go to another area read opinions from overseas members. Surely that would mean I would just have to visit more areas to view what I currently do.

I think the current forum displays a colourful, entertaining and generally well disciplined level of content, with an incredible/creditable signal to noise ratio - long may it continue.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif

Obviously too, I may just be missing the point in your suggestion so please explain further.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
It's a thought, but I wonder if it may just tend to fragment things.

A GT40 is a GT40 no matter where it is. Different issues arise because of individual countries having differing legislation and suppliers.

So would you have a seperate forum for, say, both Canada and the USA? What about the UK and the EEC or it's individual countries? Where do you draw the line? NZ is miles different to Australia, thank goodness some would stay /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif, even though we are geologically close. Would there be a seperate forum for the handful of NZ members? If not where would we post? I think these things can be adequately covered in the existing sections.

No doubt there will numerous diverse views. That's just my /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twocents.gif.

It's good that you are constantly trying to improve and upgrade./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif

I'm sure everybody appreciates the time and effort that you are always putting into this.

All the best

Paul posted whilst I was thinking and typing (slow at both!!!) I agree with what he says.

Ron Earp

Admin
Issues refers to titling, events, registration, meetings, all the good stuff that goes along with the cars.

Could be a bad idea, which is why it was aired - kill those before we ever go down that road!

Chris Kouba

Supporter
I agree with Paul. Even though there are things which aren't always relevant to everyone (ADR vs SVA vs DMV, etc) it's interesting to get the exposure to the other sides' issues and workarounds. I think it contributes to our mutual learnings. Splitting geographically will likely dilute the knowledge, although I'd probably still end up reading all the posts regardless.

Chris

Ron,
I'm only new here, But I like the set up you have at the moment.
I have ordered a DRB GT40 kit and while I wait for it to arrive.
I have received valuable advice from members like Mike Dozier in America
which I may of never meet if I was Just in the Australian section
of the forum. I agree about events having seperate country sections,
But I enjoy seeing whats happening around the world with a quick glance.
I suppose if the forum gets as big as the Club Cobra forum then you will have
no choice.

Ron,

I tend to agree with Chris_K, I read everything even if it does not apply to me and would guess most other do the same, so I see no benefit in splintering the forum geographiaclly.

Peter

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Ron, If it aint broke, don't fix it. I don't see a benefit. Just like any other issue, just start a new thread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twocents.gif

I also vote against.
A simple "Australian vehicle registration" (for instance) in the title of a thread would do for what I think would likely be a small number of necessary occasions.
Forums I frequent that have geographic sections have tended to fragment. Better I think to keep things as integrated as possible.
KISS principle applies here as much as anywhere I think.

Tim.

No "Geographic Forum Sections" please, unless one is alocated for "AXIS OF EVIL". GT40s with turrets?

Keith

[ QUOTE ]
No "Geographic Forum Sections" please

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur and vote against the sentiment expressed in my signature. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nono.gif

Keith

Foili? Hmmmm, a Freudian slip methinks...either that or a disguise....

Is this appropriate behaviour for a moderator? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nono.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Foili, I think he is Faili's long lost redneck cousin.
The one with one tooth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pete is correct. I reckon, Elmer Eugene Foili.

I now will have to endure the incorrect name, just so the previous 3 or 4 replies will make sense!!

Would someone give me Mark Clapps address so I can forward All Foili's dirty magazines /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Please!!! Dont change it. It is interesting to see the problems that we all encounter at various points on the planet , and most problems are usually solved by someone who is able to think outside the square or is not directly involved. Jack.

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoke.gif--(a Foili) : /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The news is international up to the minute and on one page
perfect! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twocents.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flehan.gif

Crikey! The radar detector on that GT40 is a bit on the conspicuous side isn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've already voted so I can't drag myself back to topic. 1000 apologies benevolent moderator. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/offtopic.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flehan.gif

Tim.

Back