1101 no longer Mk 3 !

Car 1101 was last seen at auction unsold in 2003 as a LHD 892 mile mk 3 - it has just re-appeared in MotorSport as a RHD full FIA spec racing car for sale through Lanzante - could this be the start of a new trend : Lets rebuild all the mk 3's as race cars - wonder who gets to keep the original body work etc

Hello, I thought a MKI was different in many point from a MIII.
A shame to convert 40 years later a car like this, isnt' it ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flamer.gif

If the trend continues in the same way in ten or twenty years every remaining forty will look the same. With MKI Gulf body work, BRM wheels, Gurney Weslake heads especially if they are going to race!!
A real shame as varity is the spice of life as they say!!
Regards Allan

And just for good measure the clocked the odo: Had 2600 miles on the clock when tested by Car and Driver in 1967. Then 892 miles in 2003!
How does a heavy from original modified (new bodywork, suspention, engine, steering etc) car get recognised by the FIA as a Mk1??

Since the chassis is the same as an original MK 1....I don't have a problem with the car being raced as an MK 1. Major body changes happen all the time to racecars. Coupe to spyder or vice versa for example.

And the fact that it never raced doesn't mean it's not a racecar. Large teams frequently had backup cars tha never ran a race.

However changing the odometer is a big no-no.
Really dumb considering how low the mileage was to begin
with. And so long as the car is not represented as an original MK 1 (and the VIN should easily prove that),
why not race it if that's your passion?

MikeD

[ QUOTE ]
the chassis is the same as an original MK 1

MikeD

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike - I take your point generally but is the LHD central gear shift chassis really identical to a RHD right hand shift chassis ?

I don't know what tub changes FAV made to accomodate the
LHD and center shift....but I suspect they were small.
The experts of the Forum will correct me if I'm wrong.

MikeD

hi Guys

the Mk111 has no tunnel (flat footwell) and the cooling pipes re routed. Also had rubber suspension mounts instead of rose joints, the rear cradle and exhausts and hand brake are completely different as well.

Regards
Chris

Back