Help from CAV guys? re suggestions zf to FE external clutch

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Anyone have suggestions re ZF BMW to FE clutch components for external slave set up....has this been done or am I breaking new ground?? I'm all set on the external slave cyl, bracket and linkage to the ZF cross shaft but, need help with the bellhousing/clutch and TOB......want to keep the bellhousing as short as possible...plan to use about a 4.5" long inverted Pantera with a special Mc Cleoud 10.5" flywheel w/ 184 teeth for the FE and a short press plate BUT, dont know what to use for a throw out bearing or how to determin needed TOB spacing for the ZF cross shaft arm...Does anyone have a parts list for this...Any of you CAV guys????? ps...Is the RBT ZF bushed cross shaft reliable (are the bushes sealed, does it work OK, should I use sealed ball bearings instead???) Any and all thoughts w/b appreciated Steve

Hi Steve,

Putting a FE into a CAV with a ZF has been done a few times PDQ, LSMFT. I think Ian Clark at CAV-Canada is doing an FE right now. He is a forum member and you can contact him directly. David Wagner at Classic Motor Sports is a Cobra expert but he did this stunning car in the attach picture. Send me an email and I will give you his email address. Good luck with your car and post some pictures as you progress.

Bob

Attachments

• 77102-CAV-FE-ZF_2.JPG
    77102-CAV-FE-ZF_2.JPG
    256.7 KB · Views: 323

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Steve, Bob

I'd have to say Dave Wagners your man on this one. We will be doing our first FE shortly and will have to work through all the same issues. Great picture Bob, thanks for posting... here's how we did the last ZF. I'm tempted to go with a hydraulic TOB on the next three boxes. Do you have a CAV Steve?

Cheers

Attachments

• 77137-ClutchSlaveBracket.jpg
    77137-ClutchSlaveBracket.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 275
Hi Steve
We do have a ZF slave cylinder package. Photo attached.
I can send you a set if you need. Please contact [email protected]

Regards

Jean

Attachments

• 77145-ZFslavecylinder.JPG
    77145-ZFslavecylinder.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 301
Back