Just ordered a car.

Hello

I live in Norway, and have just ordrered a replica from GOX in Sweden.

It was a strange feeling signing the contract, I felt just like a little kid opening presents on christmas morning (and still am).

Since I haven't done any building/rebuilding in about 12-13 years, I have been reading almost every post on this site in the last couple of months trying to absorb as much information as possible before ordrering.

I hope you will be patient with me when I ask more or less stupid questions. And believe me, there will be lots of them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regards
-Espen

Espen, can I ask you what kind of documentation you had to present? (assuming you are going to register the car for the road)

I thought you needed some approval of the chassis in terms of structural stability.

If so how did you swing that?

Which chassis did you order? The space frame or the monocoque ?

Good luck with the build (and hope to see many pictures) !

from

an envious Dane burdened with cruel car legislations

Hello Kristian

The trick here is to register it in Sweden. I live only 5 km from the border, so I'm going to move there. It only takes about 10 to 15 min. longer to get to work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sorry to disapoint you there, but as far as I can see, it's the easiest (and maybe only) way to do it. No hassle with tons of paperwork and no unsertainty of even getting it approved and registered for the road.

According go Göran (GOX), several norwegians have ordrered cars from him. I'm not sure how they are going to do it, but there might come some rule changes in Norway making it easier to get it registered. Im not sure about the progress, but they have been looking at the swedish and english regulations. Unfortunately, the taxes will still be the same. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Take a look at http://www.sportscar.se/forum/index.php?topic=7.0

-Espen

Hello Rob

Thank you for the feedback.

The car will be ready for delivery in the beginning of May, so there's going to be many sleepless nights for the next month and a half (and even more when the building starts). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Espen

Devin

Supporter
Espen,

Do you mind telling us how much your kit cost (in U.S. dollars?)and what is included for that price?

I am impressed so far with the pics of what I have seen but am afraid that shipping one to the US wouldn't make any savings worth the extra pain that it would generate.

Fran obviously has a great product out there but is just a bit more than I want to spend on a kit that isn't complete enough for the money spent.

I really wish that Factory Five Racing would have built a GT-40 instead of the GTM...I would have one in my garage right now!

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Espen -
Congratulations on your purchase! I too have been in communication with Goran regarding his GOX GT40 replica. I'll be very interested to hear what you think of your kit once you receive it and to watch your build progress - I hope you'll post photos!

Wolfman - If you are interested I have some translated kit information from Goran that includes pricing. GOX is producing 2 distinct cars - one with a mono and the other a space frame chassis. The mono looks beautiful and will reportedly be made in very limited numbers - it's also fairly expensive (to be expected for the work that went into it). The space frame kits are available in 3 levels - basic, deluxe and race - all very reasonably priced (US $ wise).

Dave Lindemann
Esprit is "For Sale" - Still looking for the "right" GT40

Wolfman
I ordrered the race version of the space frame rolling chassis.
The price was 130000 SEK + vat, and that is about 16800 USD + 25% swedish vat (I'm not sure what the US vat is, but if it is lower that 25%, it will save you some money).
Included in the race version are Wilwood brakes, adjustable springs, steel inner and outer roof, rollcage, and more (too much to list here). When Dave send you the information you can see for yourself.
All the panels are lasercut and predrilled, so fitting should be fairly easy.

If you are interested in the monocoque, I suggest you give Goran at GOX a call. You can fin his number at www.sportscar.se

Dave
Thank you. I can promise you that there will be plenty of photos.

-Espen

Hi Espen,

this sounds like a option worth concidering. I would appreciate it if you would send me the information also.

Cheers, Neil

Hello Neil

I will send you the information as soon as I get home from work.

It might be late, eight or nine. Hope you can wait that long. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Espen

Espen and Dave,
Thank you for the information and the pictures. Having the steel roof and b pillars does what? Just added strength and stifness? Is it a problem with fiberglass? Also on the standard kit using Granada spindles and brakes. Are these more than adequate for a street driver? I am guessing that the base and deluxe kits use Granada brakes and hubs? How expensive are these to purchase? Last on the hubs when they say center bolt are those using knockoffs rather than the 5 wheel studs?
I look forward to seeing your photos also.

Thanks Jim

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Jim -
I'm no expert - heck, I don't even own a GT40 yet - but from what I have read the double-skinned steel roof, b pillars and windshield surround add stiffness. I have read that with some all fiberglass cars it's possible to have some deflection of the windshield frame if someone grabs onto it with the door open (while getting in or out of the car). I don't know this for a fact.

Personally, I would go for the "race" kit like Espen did. You then get purpose made cast alloy uprights and hubs. There may be nothing wrong with the Granada components but they are pretty mundane for a GT40 IMHO. I have no idea on the cost of Granda components - maybe do a Google.

Yes, I believe "center bolt" refers to knock-on wheels.

Good luck with your search!

Dave Lindemann
Esprit is "For Sale" - Still looking for the "right" GT40

Hi Guys,

Re the steel roof, does anyone know how it is attached to the chassis frame, using fasteners or welded??

I received info from Dave and I was happy with the price GOX are offering their kits for. It seems quite reasonable, pretty much on par with the product offered by NZ GT40 a few years back. I hope Göran is able to give pricing for other parts such as latches, locks, lights etc..

As with Dave if I had to choose I'd go for the race kit myself. The alloy uprights, steel roof section and roll cage would be a big bonus. I suspect that there would be a bit more effort involved in finishing this car than with other manufacturers as it looks like a newer product, I would be interested to know if anyone has completed one of these. But really my main concern is shipping, it just seems like a huge task, both logistically and financially to bring a car all the way from Sweden to New Zealand, I hope it isn't so.

Cheers, Neil

Neil

I'm not a 100% sure, but I think the roof is using fasteners so that it can be adjusted for fitting. I'm going to call GOX today about some other things, so I will ask him then.

P.S.
You have mail.

-Espen

I have talked to Goran at GOX, and boy was I wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The steel roof is welded to the frame, so there is no room for adjustment.
I believe (and hope) that the body is so well done that only minimal adjustments has to be made.

-Espen

Cheers for the feedback Espen

Thats interesting. Like you say it reduces the options when it comes to lining up all the body panels etc. But really that is kind of cool, seems to make it less (yes this sounds bad) kit car like. With the welded steel floor and welded pressed panels could you call the chassis a semi-mono?

I am starting to get rather excited about this option......

Neil

Back