Dashboard copying

I would like to make a copy of my dash area (manufacturer does not make kits anymore and has not done for quite a while). I was wondering what would be the best material to use? I cannot use gel coat etc as this wil ruin the current dash (is covered in vinyl). Could I use some kind of rubber/silicone and then make a grp mould from this? Has anyone tried this???? Basically I want to use a material that will not damage the current dash area (I have seen people using some kind of rubber/silicone material to make a copy of someones arse on one of these bizarre cable tv shows - was wondering what type of material that is????)

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
.....make a copy of someones arse on one of these bizarre cable tv shows...

[/ QUOTE ]
Hollywood?? Silicone for sure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif

I have just had a look round t'internet and found that you can use pre-hardened liquid latex and then reinforce it with modelling clay which air dries. Then make a plaster cast, do a lot of hand finishing and then use it to create a real grp mould. A bit of a long winded way of doing it but the only way I can see of doing this without ruining the dash area (and if it is good enough to make copies of an arse it's good enough for me.......)

I am a bit worried about it not fitting etc so I am going to try and replicate my own for the moment so I know it will fit but thanks for the offer.

Hi jkyle69,
Why bother trying to copy a dash when you can get one relatively cheap in the UK.
My dashboard came from Lee Dawson Ex. GTD glass man but the quality was poor. He does know this and will be rectifing this in the future but I aquired from someone a Chris Melia dash which was very good, not perfect but good enough if leather covered. Mine is part leather and part carbon fibre.
Before trimming etc I had to work on it, mainly due to the full cage in the car.
The cost of producing good quality dashes will be exspensive and any moulds made will probably damage the original.
My advise is buy one in.

Middle of dash where gauges are was cut out and replaced by 4 mm thick carbon panel which was bonded in, also carbon vent cover, gauges are SPA digital.Car is not for road use !
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/bakergt40/DASH5.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/bakergt40/DASH3.jpg

why waste time in removing the dash from your car them go to the trouble of flanging it up and pouring latex rubber all over it for a 'one off', it would be alot easier to but a new one from 'southern gt's' and have it recovered.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I think it would be a lot easier to modify a new one than make a copy from scratch. I really haven't seen much difference in dashboards between manufacturers. At least nothing that can't be trimmed up to fit.

The major differences in the dashes is in the windshield profile.
First,some have more curve than others. By that I mean if you stretch a string from the widest point of the pillar tothe other pillar while looking along the plane of the glass, and then measure to the mid point of the top of the glass. You will find some deeper than others.
Second, when I was changing my car to LHD, I sent the measurements of my dash(every concievable measurement from point to point) to several manufactures who had offered me a dash and we found out that theirs would not come close to fitting my car. So I had to get one from the original manufacturer.
The only good thing that came out of it was when I went to fit the dash around the full cage. I could cut the ends off and use them for templates for the new dash to fit perfectly.

tack 3 Pisces of maceinite or then paneling duck tape into a box over the dash place a garments bag in the box and make sure it has no holes than add about a quart of two part expandable foam and give it a couple of hours. you can coat the dash with partall just incase there is a leek

you can take your dash to afiberglasser and get them to do it or you can get some thin plastic sandwitch wrap type material which you can glass over and not damage your dash. check with a glass supplier to see what you can use, there are a few products on the market that are made for that application

if you realy want to make a moold then you must get loosing wax and loosing liquid
first put the wax on the dash(close the holes from the back with cardboard and ducktape)
then seal and polish the wax with the loosing liquid this takes care of the protection of your original dash
then use gelcoat and after that you can apply the fiber leave it for two days and the remove it(mayby you've got to make the moold in two halfs for the removel (the shape)
it's a lot of work but it can be done
and when you wanna make a dash in the moold it's the same principal

Frank

Back