Anyone interested in a brand new 1966 Ford GT40 Mk II?

Looking at the price of 600K USD perhaps it doesn`t come as a real surprise,
that not too many cars were sold.
One could imagine that those few potential customers spend some considerable
thoughts on its historic value as well as on the lack of eligibility for vintage racing.

Now that Superformance is offering very realistic MK II s
for a fraction of this price, I doubt Lee will sell his.
Makes you wonder what will happen to those beautiful tubs
when Lee leaves this world.

MikeD

They are built to order no doubt. And for differing market obvoiusly to the Superperformance. The Superperformance does not have a T44 transaxle or anything like 100% of the originals parts. In otherwords its a good value for money copy. But the Holman is the nearest you can get to the real thing.
Markus with the new FIA papers I think the Holman MKII could get to race in the Historics. There is another FIA Certificate that authenticates the 'original MKII'. So there would be no confusion.
Regards Allan

Lee Holman's car really is a MK 2 with all of the changes made to the MK1 in order to run the big block etc. As nice as the Superformance car seems to be, it is really a MK1 with a different body, a look alike. Remember, it is a 427 SMALL Block and I don't know what transaxle. For the money I would consider changing the tub to accept a big block and T44. It could not be that difficult other than the 50 or 60K it would cost for the engine/ trans.
Bill

Hmmm, Allan, think I simply oversaw the point with the FIA papers.
It`s just that from what came through to me some owners of cars with
history are becoming more and more reluctant to participate in races where
newly made up cars, although having FIA papers, take part as well.
Would be interesting to know what MK IV`s thoughts are on that point...

Regards,
Marcus

Markus
See what orginal cars are racing in the Lemans Classic? Because I am going to get confused to what is a FIA paper 'new" car and what is an original?
Although not a championship race the Goodwood Revival meeting has certainly produced some weird running mates. Like the year David Piper's 250LM Ferrari was only allowed to run on wires (because the cars have to be pre 1966 spec). While the ATS Daytona Coupe won the race although it was only built in the 1990's. Am I being reasonable that this is what the Historic racing will come to??
Incidentially all the Ford GT40s are running with post 1966 parts to be compeditive i.e. Gurney Weslake Heads, BRM 6 spoke wheels.
Regards Allan

I hope the post '65 parts will no longer be allowed at Goodwood; some cars ran oversized engines and I know some GT40's use carbon-fibre bodies......
The FIA Historic Passport is completely ridiculous, it costs a fortune and I don't need to pay somebody to give me a paper telling me what I already know: my car is real.

Of course all the new-built cars Like the Lola T70's will be raced against the original cars and they'll be faster, so the originals will stay home.

Hi

Started a new thread on FIA , Appendix K chapter 7. This applies to the qualification for "recreations" for race entry.

Looking forward to your contributions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Roel

Back