accelerator pedal position

Hi All,

Could be just me but I am having trouble heal toeing (or more correctly toe side of foot)for high speed braking decelarating, changing down. My biggest problem, I think, is that I cant get my right knee over to the left to swing my heel over the the accelerator pedal because the steering column is in the way. Does any one have photos of their cockpit (steering column & pedals) I can compare with. I think the steering column is off a Ford Laser.
Cheers
Greg /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Hi Chris,

Saw you checking this out. I spent the day at QR with Sherring Motorsport and having a play. I'm still having hassles with the heal toe scenario. How did you do it?

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
If it was my car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I'd be thinking about a trigger type lever on the gear stick connected to the throttle lever or accel'r pedal- give that a blip between cogs- and your big foot can concentrate on braking and accelerating only /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twocents.gif

Greg Q,
How determined are you to heel-and-toe using that technique? I heel-and-toe by pressing the right edge of the brake pedal with the middle of my foot and then rolling my foot to the right to blip the throttle with the right/top of my foot. That way, my knee rotates to the right and is nowhere near the column... and I am bliping the top of the throttle pedal rather han the bottom. I’ve noticed on the in-car cameras shots in the V8 Supercar coverage, that most the V8 drivers use this technique too.

Malcolm

Supporter
I use the method described by Chris L above with ok results. Elsewhere on this forum I have mentioned that I have set my throttle pedal position such that on hard brakes (I mean hard brakes!) with my foot equally flat on both brake and throttle the engine revs to 4000RPM when the clutch is depressed. No blipping required as smooth action with a downshift makes the blip for me without my needing to go for blip! If you follow! But it did take some time to set up correctly with trial laps each time. 4000RPM worked for my engine box set up, may be different for someone else.

Solved the problem guys. firstly thought of moving the seat back to original position but helmet & top of door had conflict and I couldnt drive properly with my head sideways, so next I thought of chopping off knee caps. That looked like it was going to work but wounds would take time to heal and I'm too impatient. So I took the steering column couling off and Ta Da, easy.

Thanks for your input.
Cheers
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Greg, do you have the original DRB hanging pedals ?

I have these & have had a devil of a time setting things up for the "sideways" heel & toe that Chris L describes. I had to change to a smaller accel cable pulley on the throttle body capstan, & make up a much longer lever arm to pull the cable under the dash.

This reduced the pedal travel quite a lot (now about 60mm), but I still have to set the pedal 12mm too far back to make sure I can get WOT before the RHS of the pedal hits the angled side panel.

I have already cut 8mm off the LHS of the pedal to give me better foot clearance between it & the brake pedal, so maybe 5-8mm off the RHS will fix the problem ? Only problem then is that I will end up with an accel pedal that is about 5mm wide !

Its all good fun, or something !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Back