Fitting of the Audi 3.22 crown wheel and pinion.

Short version. I will make available a full set of installation instructions on my dubious web site 40Inches.com No maching is required to fit the new crown wheel and pinion. Disassemble the gearbox; remove all gears from the old pinion. Before the gears are fitted back onto the new shaft, remove the main bearing casing pressed into the main aluminium gearbox case. The new Pinion is to large to fit through the opening with the main bearing case pressed in place, so now the pinion shaft will fit through the opening. Fit the main bearing onto the new shaft with the outer casing as well as part of the reassembly. The usual clearance checks to ensure proper operation will need to be carried out (more about that in the fitting instructions). Ensure any shims are refitted. Reassemble centre of the gearbox, when the cast steel case is fitted to the main aluminium case the bearing is repressed into the housing automatically. I did re-use my old bearings as they were perfect and didn’t have to shim the carrier bearings or the pinion bearing, backlash was perfect lucky maybe! but after looking at the main aluminium case and the support around the bearing it is my opinion to machine a larger bearing would weaken the case without reinforcing the opening and is not necessary. The new crown wheel and pinion are stronger. If anything the weakness is in the rear of the cast steel case around the support bearings hence using the support plate already discussed on the forum may help. This is a simple exchange and is not as complicated as claimed.

Charlie i can supply the units for self installation as I have described it can be done if you have access to a press. it took us about 6 hours to actually remove and refit the unit plus 6 hours of discovery time.

Back