air con and other bits

in the manual the a/c thermostat (long metal tube from control switch ) is stated to be run into the fresh air vent behind the plenium,is this correct or should it be measuring the temp of the cabin from else where so that the evapourator is controlled accordingly?

the dash wiring loom has a hella plug for a hazard warning light switch,it is a 2cm diameter castlated mount does any one have the part number for the switch?

In the dash loom there is no regulator ,does there have to be one ,~? if so which one?

As you are begining to gather there are a huge number of parts missing from the rare SA cars! but of the ones there the quality is good.Must say a quick thanks to Jerry for his help in part sourcing and to rick chatell for his continued support /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Jim Dewar

Supporter
The tube runs inside the evaporator and against the coils. This cycles the compressor as to prevent the evaporator from freezing(it is reading the evap temp. not the cabin temp)
The hella switch you need is part #5227 hella Au I sourced one on ebay from GB for $25 US 2 weeks ago. It is a commercial application truck, bus etc. My problem was not distributed in the US but I'm sure you can locate near home.

thanks Jim, how far into evapourator does it have to go,is it just the tip, or most of it,? Does the thermostat have to be close to the evapourator matrix or just in its general area as in the same zone is a heater matrix.
thanks for the hella number
do you have a voltage reulator in your system or not ,if so any numbers

Jim Dewar

Supporter
Hew, remove the face of the evaporator(outlet duct)to gain acces to the evaporator coils. Drill a small hole in the side of the case to insert the tube and run it accros the front to center. Then insert the end of the tube into the center of the fins the depth of the evaporator(approx. 2").
This should be the coldest portion of the unit and the most likley area to freeze. This will switch the compressor off based on the rheostat setting before freezing.

The Smiths fuel gauge requires a voltage stabilizer to pulse a constant 10 volts to prevent the gauge from fluctuating when alternator voltage varies. I have VDO gauges which do not require this part.

Back