ERA GT on Ebay

The only things I would change would be,add Webers and change valve covers.That is a sweet ride,now if I only win the lottery.

I emailed the seller. Chassis 2042 was produced and delivered in 1991, seller completed build in 1993. So in response to your comment, Howard, you probably can't build it for 72.5 today. But this car was likely built for considerably less in the early 90's.

If she was gulf livery with webers, I'd be losing sleep thinking about her.

Mitch D

This car hits Ebay every spring. It has not ever been registered for the street. One of our own forum members flew in to see this car a few years back, made a deal with the owner, flew home and sold his 911 to raise funds, and the current GT40 owner decided not to sell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I have seen the car. It is nice and the transaxle is reported to be from the Ford GT40 racing program. It has nice gear ratios and some interesting cooling/oiling lines running out of it.
My comments are simply observations.

Andy

Andy - you are the man! I didn't recall that thread from last year even though I now remember reading it. My thought about the ebay listing was that it wasn't very 'showy' or 'descriptive' and there's minimal/no information about who built it and when. If the car is really all that, I would have expected a better listing. Apparently I'm not the only one to be suspicious - witness NO BIDS! Ha!

Again, the GT40 forum and it's members usually smell a bad deal a mile away!

Thanks Andy!

MD

Hi everybody

Let me set the record to what happened on the previous sale of this car on E-Bay that this discussion seems to be centered around.

First of all, the gentleman that flew in from Texas came to see the car on a Friday and I spent Friday afternoon showing him the car. When he left my house he told me specifically, “I will call you either today (Friday) or tomorrow if I am going to buy the car.” Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday all came with no phone call. On Tuesday he called me to inform me that he wanted that car and at that point he told me had sold his car in order to have the funds to buy mine. I never knew this until that point.

The car was tied up in my business and personal finances and circumstances changed that prevented me from selling it. I explained this to the buyer from Texas. It’s unfortunate that he sold his car, however did tell him that had I been able to get the car released he could have it at that price.

The car was removed from e-bay prior to him making the offer. Would this discussion even be happening if one of the other potential buyers had brought me cash on Friday night, and the car was sold?

I feel bad that he sold his car, however I can’t be responsible for his method of financing. What if his car didn’t sell? Then he is just another “tire kicker”.

This happened about three ago. Since then I placed it on E-Bay once. So it has not been out there each year.

Since this occurrence I have sold my business of which Andy and his brother were customers. (We would help them with dyno tuning their salt flat car.) I also got divorced and I obtained the car in the settlement.

The circumstances that happened three years ago, though unfortunate were not totally in my control.

Andy knows this car and has seen it many times while it was stored at my shop.

The circumstances of the previous sale do not affect the physical aspects of the car. This is a good car and the new owner will have fun with it.

Thank you for allowing me to state my case.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
FWIW, when Andy discussed this car with me, he referred to it as a "perfect" ERA that could not be duplicated for the asking price. It was just too much $$$ for me to consider, aside from the importation issues (not quite 15 years old) into Canada. From the images I've seen, this looks like a great car.

Welcome Charlie!

I did not intend my post to be negative in any way. I have mentioned your car to buyers looking at my GTD who wanted a more show quality car. This car, although an older build, is in as new condition. I know Charlie has run the bugs out of it and is a very competent tuner. As I said before the ZF in this car may have an extremely cool background to add to the mystique. I am stating my observations only and are to be considered as you see fit.
Mitch
Other than being a past customer of Charlies business I have no interest or ties to Charlie or his car. I doubt anyone could build a similar car for the money.

From the pictures it looks great, but a question. Does the car look like it is riding too high? Looking at origional pictures there is less of a gap between the tires and fenders, is this simply the way the owner has setup the suspension?

Hopefully Charlie will chime in on this. I believe Charlie had the suspension set up by Corey Gelling who has a very succesful race shop in Wisconsin specializing in Pantera's for racing.

Kevin

When setting up these cars I have found that what looks the best and what performs the best are not usually the same. Ride height is easily adjustable.

The Chassis was set up by Collector's choice (cory)

Using the springs that come with the kit from ERA the car would not handle very good. He did raise the ride height from where I had it, but the performance was great. We also changed spring rates. The car with a fresh set of tires acts like its on rails. Very neutral in its handling. A good upgrade would be to get a GT40 rack because the ratio is better than the MG ratio that ERA uses

Back