Ford Shorty Water Pump

HELP!! I have the Ford shorty water pump and recently tried to order the matching Street Rod Pulleys. However, I was notified today that the pulleys have been discontinued! If I use the standard pulleys, will they work or have interference problems?

This really sucks.

Bill D /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Bill -

Not sure, what might be off is belt alignment between the crank and water pump belt alignment, but really depends on the upper water pump pulley's offset. Check out the www.marchperf.com they may have some measurments on some of the sets. Also what can also matter is the type of balancer that you have (3 or 4 bolt, in-e or out-e). I got a set from them for an odd combination for the 65 mustang when I first got it together and they were really helpfull when on the phone with one of the tech people. Also, I think the fellow that did the Racemate alternator/waterpump can make any type of pulley's (vbelt or serpentine) if you get into a jam and they are nice looking billet parts as well (He's down in San Diego).

HTH

Sandy

Bill, you will have interference problems with the standard water pump pulley on the short water pumps. (I'm afraid I got the last set from Max at 5-star ford - - - sorry). March should have a set of pulleys that will work on the short pumps as they are popular with the hot rodders and I believe that March basically put "fords versions" out of business.

sorry bout that.

cheers

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Bill, worst case you could take stock pulleys and put a spacer behind them. This would push them out enough to provide clearance. The ford units have very little dish relative to stock units. Note below... Alternatively you could go to a v-belt setup instead of serpentine.

Mar16_016.jpg

Ron Earp

Admin
Bill, were you using a shorty standard or reverse rotation pump? March has a complete bracket and pulley set for $359 (non AC) for a standard setup that looks nice.

Neal-
If I use a spacer, then I've negated the advantages of using the shorty pump. I might as well use a standard pump and pulleys.

Ron-
Standard rotation. I'll talk to March. Thanks

Ron Earp

Admin
They have what you need then. I might have to make my own for non-ac reverse rotation, or go to a standard rotation so I can buy off the shelf. Might best switch to standard so I don't re-invent the wheel.

R

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
The short pump gains you 1.75" I estimate you could use a .25 spacer to gain enough clearance so you still gain 1.5". BTW the Ford spec pulleys are underdrive. While I've not had any cooling issues you may want to consider standard drive speeds. I'm sure there is something off the shelf though.

Incredible Luck!!!!

WOW!! I can't believe my luck. I called Max Zuckerberg at Five Star Ford in Scottsdale, AZ. He didn't have any pulley sets, but checked the worldwide inventory system. He found a total of 4 - 1 in Colorado, 1 in Louisiana, and 2 in Indiana. The 1 in Colorado sold yesterday. I called Louisiana, and "BINGO"!! It shipped today.

I feel such a sense of relief!!

Bill D

Back