Mechanical linkage for Audi 016?

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
I'm rethinking my shift linkage. I currently have a two cable system which feels a bit sloppy. I'm evaluating going to a full mechanical system. Problem is my car is left hand drive / center shift. I'm interested in seeing a mechanical setup used in this configuration. Anyone?

Still uses cables, but works well on Ray Christopher's GTD Monocoque Spyder.... might be of use.

Attachments

• 80677-audishift.JPG
    80677-audishift.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 593
I built a complete steel linkage using ball joint rod ends and scrap steel. Cost me $30.00 in parts and I feel it works way better than cables. It can be for left or right hand drive since the shifter is still in the same location.
A friend made a computer animation of it. The single main rod can take any course you wish to get to the transmission as long as it gets there.
http://www.kitcentral.com/albums/album203/shitfer.avi

Jim

Hi Paul.

What was used to connect the cables to the Transaxle. It looks like a good set up.

Mike

Hi Mike

I believe it is a 'translator' device from a Lotus Esprit setup, I've never purchased one so don't know for sure but when correctly setup and lubricated, gives fast slick changes on a UN1. RAY Christopher (AKA Mr GTD) seems to have few problems with it on his Spyder fitted with Audi 6-speed.

If no-one else can confirm one way or another - I'll call Ray to be sure..

Back