2003 CAV GT-40 on eBay

But, Mike, your argument for higher price is flawed. RF folded, so what. There are still other suppliers out there who are currently producing. Therefore, supply is sufficient to meet demand and this shouldn't contribute to higher price.

I submit that these 'sellers' are going to end up holding this car for a while longer. Apparently it's just sitting around somehwere - perhaps unregistered since the miles haven't changed.

I was just trying to be a bit cheeky by asking how they presume to get $10K more for the same car that wouldn't sell a year earlier at $75k.

As several forum members tried to point out on another thread about GT40 replica value in light of the RF fallout - these are not collector cars and therefore are unlikely to appreciate.

MD

Cav Gt-40

FYI, nothing changed. The listing now is NO RESERVE where the other auction had a higher reserve price set. It has a clear Kansas title.

What good is no reserve if you have to start bidding at 85000?

I always thought a true no reserve auction ,started at o then sold to the highest bidder.If the bids start at 85000,that's really the reserve.

You received no bids at 85K this year and none at 75K last year. So setting a "no reserve" auction with starting bid at 85K is likely to get no bids too. What you "want to get out of the car" and what a "buyer is willing to pay" is not the same.

This CAV appears to be an earlier CAV chassis without the numerous upgrades deemed necessary by many in the know. The car has never been registered which begs the question - why not?

Hypothetically, it wouldn't do me or anyone else much good even for $50k if it was determined that another $50k was necessary to get it road-worthy for registration. "Clear title" doens't mean the same thing at all.

For the money you're asking, any buyer is going to want to drive it on road. In my opinion it's not a 'rare collectable' that is meant to sit in a garage.

Mitch D

Pat

Supporter
mdemyanek said:
This CAV appears to be an earlier CAV chassis without the numerous upgrades deemed necessary by many in the know. The car has never been registered which begs the question - why not?

Hypothetically, it wouldn't do me or anyone else much good even for $50k if it was determined that another $50k was necessary to get it road-worthy for registration. "Clear title" doens't mean the same thing at all.

Mitch D

$50K to get an early CAV on the road??? Are you planning to gold plate the thing?
IMHO While I think $85K pricing is stretch thinking on e-Bay (it's not exactly Barrett-Jackson), I have one of the earliest MONO CAVs and I use it as a weekend driver and the modifications to drive it were minimal. (I have a little over 3K miles on the car). Most of the mods I've done (except the paint) were "sweat equity" and with the help of the factory were mostly minor changes. Heck, my rear wheels are even in the center of the wheel well ;)
Bob Childress has taken his CAV to a level that is spectacular and I suspect he will end up with a top shelf car comparable to anybody. I've been offered $75K for my car several times and one never knows what the market will bear when I choose to sell it. If I was to e-bay the thing I would start as a minimum bid $65K and buy now at $80K and see what happens. But then I'd have taken the $75K bid if I owed the car in question. A similiar optioned CAV with a Roush engine and ZF recently auctioned here locally for $79K and I think that is market for the injected engine and ZF.
Now if I wanted to turn my car into a nose bleed capabable track day trailer queen, then the rear suspension link kit, the roll bars, the ZF, the MOTEC, 17 inch wheels and other goodies might make sense. But that would never approach $50K and given the license tag on the e-bay car (California) it appears to be road worthy.

Last edited:
Back