New vBulletin Software

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Congratulations to Ron; I for one like the new look, and the vBulletin software as I'm familiar with it from other Internet forums. For me, the New Posts feature is especially useful, and I keep a shortcut to it on my desktop. When I click the shortcut, up come all the new posts since my last logon.

Another nice feature is being able to upload multiple photos in one post.

The search feature isn't as well developed as other forum software, as it only brings up the first page of a thread that meets the criteria. If it's a long, multipage thread, you then have to search page by page for the criteria you're looking for. If someone knows a good way to circumvent this, I'm all ears, er eyes ;-)

John

I'm impressed that the conversion software was even able to keep track of which messages I had recently read.

But while I understand the source of the orange and blue color theme, I'm not sure about having a large orange background (the color combo hurts my eyes).

Ron Earp

Admin
All is in a state of flux right now and there are fixes for EVERYTHING - better plug in engines, etc. I'm amazed that it has gone this well, but a progammer is Switzerland is responsible for the nasty conversion job and he wasn't too expensive. I'm just tidying things up, so stay tuned. I'll put a big post out later for where all of this is going and what we have planned.

Ron:)

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Wow, Ron. Pretty seamless from a user perspective! I can only imagine how much hair you've lost in the process, but it looks like you started with enough to get through it. Odd that half an hour ago I was a "senior member" (I liked the sound of that) and now I'm back at 1/10th. I feel all youthfull and beginner-like! :D

Good luck working through the little bugs!

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Excellent effort Ron,

I particularly like the fact that times are now shown GMT. Much easier (for me anyway) to tell how long ago the last posting was.

All the best

Ron Earp

Admin
All times can be adjusted in your User CP. Mine shows Eastern Standard Time, where I am located.

Ron

Ron,
My avatar has grown huge, do we know ow to bring it back to normal size.

Next question is how do i change back to my name as opposed to Porsche93.

Peter

Peter

Ron Earp

Admin
Right now I do not know how to get the avatars back to small size. You'll probably need to do it yourseld, resize the imagine, and re-upload it. The old software must have accepted large images and sized them down. I don't know what this one is doing, but I put the limit for new avatar uploads at 100x100 for supporters and 80x80 for normal folks.

Names - they are what they are - if you can't change them in the User CP (check and see) then I can't do anything with them either right now, no time. LOTS of people are affected.

Ron

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Way cool changes, Ron! Kudos!! I particularly like that each of the forum topics shows all the threads, way back to when the forum began. I can spend many hours looking through the topics post by post now--I have found that there is lots of useful information that finds its way into the threads that may have not much to do with the original title to the threads.

I also like very much the way our PM boxes are set up--PMs I thought I had lost b/c I forgot to mark them to be saved are there.

Will the new format allow you to display our "supporter flags"? I'm also looking forward to finding out how to restore the name I used in the beginning (my real name) rather than the logon name I established.

All in all, a great change!!

Doug

rlearp said:
The old software must have accepted large images and sized them down. I don't know what this one is doing, but I put the limit for new avatar uploads at 100x100 for supporters and 80x80 for normal folks.
The old forum software would accept any size image (and any aspect ratio) and force them down to the smaller size. You can usually tell, because they'd look squished or jagged.

If you're using Windows, the freeware program Irfanview (or IView32) can resize images for avatar image.
http://www.irfanview.com/

p.s. The new background color is much easier on the eyes.

Just making sure avatar, username etc are ok, this seemed as appropriate a place as any.
Apologies if inappropriate.

Tim.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Ron, you da man:cool: I love new stuff.

You seize to amaze me with your never ending quest to make this the most awesome site around. BTW, the crystals are awesome too.

I believe the old max avatar size was 120x120. At least that's what mine is, and I'm pretty sure I scaled it to fit on the old board...

Back