G50 Serviceing and Problems

Simple question i have a g50-03 box i am currently overhauling prevoiusly it has had LSD fitted and also been had the caseing modded to get over the bad design problems that surround the clutch release fork. On the bench i have had to dissamsmble the box rear end to find out what i supect may be a damaged reverse gear (Ie what ever i do it wont select reverse but does select every other gear 4th 5th and 1st seem to be sticky). The bugger is i have now got the rear end off and the gears and syncro are in perfect condition no damage. I am at a loss as i am sure people know to disaamble the box further is a major amount of work. My question is why can i select 1st fine and not reverse? the only thing i can think of is that in some way the selector linkage for 1 and reverse is broken but even this makes no sense. I physically feals like its jamming the linkage!!!! Also my next question does anyone know a way of locking th input shaft that does not involve buying the expensive porsche tool? Also another question that has bugged me other the last few years is the ideal oil to use in a g50 ? porsche service centers seem to keep telling me different things and i dont seem to be able to find any information on the web that actually says any particular make or weight is better then another. Anyone know anything here ?

Last edited:
If you are trying to engage reverse whithout a proper shifter (ie: using a screwdriver on the shift rod sticking out of the box), then your problem most likely is you need to twist harder to get past first, alot harder. It is almost uncomfortable how much force it takes but your average screwdriver sticking into the hole in the shift rod will give you enough leverage.
As for locking the input shaft, if I remember right, I just assembled the shafts to the center section, engaged 2 gears at the same time then torqued that nut. If you are trying to undo that nut good luck, you will need the tool and a way of holding the transmission as that thing is on there something fierce, I cut mine off.

Thanks for the help yeah engageing two gears a same time works fine. Got both drive plates off now and established why reverse wont engage i feal a couple of hundered pounds of spares coming up. Thanks.

G50 Trans oil

You can use any trans oil from your local parts store. I don't think a particular brand is better than any other. Some say use RED LINE others will say something else. For around town driving I don't think it really matters. If you have LSD, then you need to use LSD oil ONLY or you will fry the bearings. The main difference you will note is the smell of the LSD oil. It will smell like burnt oil. For racing purposes Swepco is probably the best. Down side is it cost about 10X as much.

Bill

Back