Votes: 5 13.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hello All,

As we update the look and feel of GT40s.com, it would be useful to know what the common denominator in display size is across our group. I know some folks have a common desktop running across two 1680 x 1050 displays, but I am more interested in making sure we create a good user experience for those with mainstream PCs, Macs etc.

Thanks in advance for participating in this poll.

Regards,

Al

Last edited:
I think a better question is "What is your size preference for the browser?"
I use fairly large screens but my preference for forums from a useability point of view is 1024 x 768.

Tim.

Al and Ron,

Again, I'd recommend setting things for 1280x1024. Most 18 in. to 20 in. LCDs
use this as their native resolution, and seems to (still) be the most popular
resolution for single monitor set ups. A great second choice would be 1024x768
as this works better with 15 in. to 17 in. monitors or with people with less than
stellar eyesight.

Ian

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I'm on a Mac, so this may not be the same experience as on a PC, but I can resize the window to anything I want and the forum just adjusts automatically. That said, I tend to agree that the 1024x768 would be the most universally acceptable resolution, especially for those of us with laptops that need to get our fix when we travel. :D

Keith

iank2112 said:
Al and Ron,

Again, I'd recommend setting things for 1280x1024. Most 18 in. to 20 in. LCDs
use this as their native resolution, and seems to (still) be the most popular
resolution for single monitor set ups. A great second choice would be 1024x768
as this works better with 15 in. to 17 in. monitors or with people with less than
stellar eyesight.

Ian

They make 18-20" monitors? :eek: Speaking as a humble Brit with limited funds available to purchase $1,000 monitors and with obviously less than stellar eyesight coupled with an ever so low-tech 15" desktop LCD I'd go for the archaic and ever so old fashioned 1024X768 and then you'd get the best of both worlds for laptops and (ancient) British desktops.

Of course, I could be wrong and most of my compatriots in the Non-US World may well be viewing this on a split screen array big enough to make NASA's Houston control room a little green with envy. But there again....

:rolleyes:

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Keith1 said:
They make 18-20" monitors? :eek: Speaking as a humble Brit with limited funds available to purchase $1,000 monitors and with obviously less than stellar eyesight coupled with an ever so low-tech 15" desktop LCD I'd go for the archaic and ever so old fashioned 1024X768 and then you'd get the best of both worlds for laptops and (ancient) British desktops.
QUOTE]

Keith,

19" LCD monitors are very commonly available sub £200 some down to about £150 (including VAT depending where you go), if you're only looking for 1028X768 or even 1280x1024. Would be over £300 if looking to support 1600x1200 though.

Cheers,

Max

Keith

Ahh, Maxiboy. 'Twas but a slight leg pull old bean...:) But thanks for telling me how cheap these LCD's are becoming. It's my birthday next week and I am desperately trying not to buy myself one. Why? 'Cos I don't really need it. Bit like a GT40 really...;)

Keith1 said:

Of course, I could be wrong and most of my compatriots in the Non-US World may well be viewing this on a split screen array big enough to make NASA's Houston control room a little green with envy. But there again....

:rolleyes:

Well, I could be using this little gem from work:

http://www.calit2.net/~jschulze/projects/doe-pnnl/caveui/img/01.jpg

Or the next gen version that will completely surround the users.

Or this:

http://cg.calit2.uci.edu/mediawiki/index.php/Image:HIPerWall_teaser1.jpg

Seriously, prices have ceom down drastically on 17" and higher monitors.
Even Dell gives you a free 17" LCD most of the time.

Ian

Keith

OK, I've now joined the 1280 X 1024 faction with a fab Sony 19" monitor. It's so big, I'll have to sit across the other side of the room. No more wimpy 1024X768 for me!! Ohh nooo.rockonsmile

Back