Not So New

I found that the best overall info about GT-40s is on this sight, so I joined up a few months back. I say "not so new" because I worked at FoMoCo in the 60s and 70s, part of that time being at KarKraft where I was involved with the Mk-IV. After moving to Tucson, I got to know John Wyer quite well through a good friend, John Horsman, both of JWA and the Gulf GT-40s. And while at KarKraft, I was involved in purchasing a Mk-II for $55,000 from surplus to cover the OT pay during the LeMans preparation thrash.

I now own an ERA 427 S/C Cobra powered by a 427 side oiler with tunnel-port heads. Great car with brutal power. But I have to leave it in the garage when the weather is bad; rain, cold, high heat and all that stuff. So I'm considering the unthinkable, which is selling my Cobra so I can purchase a GT-40. With that said, I'll be searching for a nice example, preferably with an injected 351 stroker, i.e., 392. I'll be looking and getting educated about what is available.

Great to be joined up.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike:

Thanks for the suggestion. I know Dennis pretty well. I like the Superformance Mk II, but it will be hard to break the ERA habit. Looked over the red Mk II at the Spring Auto Fair and took a lot of pictures. I'll take my time and see what comes along. I have more time than money. Might have to sell the airplane and/or Cobra. A nice used car is a possibility.

very nice!

I am just to the painting stage of a homebuilt. Can't wait to finish and get it in the air.

Good luck with your gt40 hunt!

Regards,
Mike

Back