Chris Kouba

Supporter
My icon for posts does not indicate whether there are new posts or not. There are times when there are new posts and it doesn't get its color, and there are times when it's colored and all the new-to-me posts are read.

Is this working for everyone else and I'm just special? Are there plans to fix it?

Ron/Al- Please don't consider this a complaint, I'm just using up my limited mental capacity trying to remember when the last posts which I read were posted.

Chris

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Ditto for me too Chris.

In addition, when I have new post and I proceed with reading them, they remain new (colored) when I return to main forum. I then have to press the "mark read" button at the bottom of the page to clear the new post. The only way I circumvent this is to stay in the selected forum and refresh my screen at which point the new post's turn to "read".

Other times, I think Chris mentioned, I know there are new post but the icons are not colored.

Definitely not working correct in my browser:confused: . I noticed this right away but thought I would give it some time for the bugs to be ironed out. Maybe time to address this nowpepper . Thanks Chris for bringing this up.

I described something recently, which I think may be the same thing. This is how I described it.
"On the old board it would indicate which Forums had new posts since last logging on. That continues in the new board.
However, If I chose not to look into a particular forum on a particular visit, the board would remember the Forums I had not been in, so that on a future visit, when I eventually visited that Forum, I would be able to see ALL the new posts, since I last visited that Forum, rather than in the new board where it will simply show new posts since last login to THE BOARD, irrespective of if I visited that Forum or not.
Does that make sense?
So for example if I am away for a week, next time I log in there are, lets say, 400 new posts. I only have time to look at the 100 new posts in All GT40, and then I log out. Next time I log in the 300 posts in the Forums I didn't have time to look in are now marked as read.
Am I just missing a setting somewhere?"

It sounds like maybe the new posts flag is not refreshed during a given session, and that at the end of the session, everything is marked as read, even if you haven't read it. In combination with that, I am now of the opinion that there is a maximum time within the session after which everything is marked as read as well.

Apart from that, thanks very much to Ron and Al, for a relatively very smooth migration.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Bringing to the top because I am still having the same issues as decribed above by Chris and Lee early on.

Am I missing some kind of setting in my user CP?

Tim

Ron Earp

Admin
Your best bet if you rely on the "New Posts" thing is to go to the main page, www.gt40s.com, and it'll tell you new posts. The feature works, at least it does for 90%+ folks, but it seems that it doesn't hold the new post icon if you don't visit an area. That is, visit, don't look at new posts in the "Engines" category, then next time you come back everything is read and up to date. I'll see if there is something to change, but it might just be how it is.

Ron

aladinsane said:
In addition, when I have new post and I proceed with reading them, they remain new (colored) when I return to main forum.
Have you tried pressing your browser's reload button? That seems to work for me.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Ben, yes that works for me but it should automatically reset to "read" when exiting any particular "unread" thread. In addition, if I have read all the "unread" threads in a particular forum then that forum should automatically change to "read" status upon exiting to the main forum page. Mine does not do that. I have to refresh the thread then refresh the main forum page. Extra steps that should not be necessary. Currently I just read all the threads then go to the main page and click the "Mark Forums Read" button.

I visit another forum (bimmerfest.com) that uses this same Forum format and it works "correctly" in this regard. Of course this slight inconvenience does not deter me from making this my most desired Internet site:D Thanks Ron for everything, it's still the best.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
This still isn't working for me either even when I do the refresh drill. Again I will state that this isn't a complaint, I just wanted to know if it doesn't work for everyone. It sounds like it doesn't and there may be a fix. As Tim said though, it doesn't stop me from visiting the site.

Whether it's fixed or not, I'll still be reading...

Chris

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Ron, thanks for the suggestion. Does not do any better. Regardless of how I enter a thread and exit, to clear the "unread" to "read" status I have exit and "refresh" at each forum level.

The manner in which I read my threads may have something to do with it. I don't know about other members but my habit is to enter a thread by the newest post button of any particular thread. After reading I press the "back" button to put me in the current forum to read the next "unread" thread. When done in that forum I "back" to the Main Forum to pick the next topic. Even "backing" out of the forum should reset the "unread" to "read"

I can reset the "unread" thread by gong to the top of the page and click on the forum \ topic tree and return back to the current topic. Also, if I am in the "New Post" threads I can click on "New Post" at the top of the page after reading a thread and it will reset, but, upon returning to the Main Forum all the topics still show "unread" until I go into each topic again the refresh or simply press the "Mark Read" button at the bottom.

Sorry to confuse anyone.:rolleyes:

Ron Earp said:
What happens when you guys use the "New Post" icon in the tool bar?
If I use the browser's back button, the "New Post" page doesn't get refreshed when I return. If I use the "New Post" link at the top of a forum page, the "New Post" page is refreshed.

This is roughly the same behaviour I saw with the old web site. If I used the "Main Index" or "Index" link at the top of a page, it would refresh the unread forums. But if I used the browser's back button, it wouldn't refresh the Index page.

There's probably a bit of HTML to tell the browser to not cache the New Post page. A quick bit of googling turned up: <META HTTP-EQUIV="CACHE-CONTROL" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">

(I'm using Mozilla 1.5)

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Ben,

Unfortunately it's not as simple as that. The forum is not just a set of static HTML pages, it generates the pages dynamically from a mySQL database using PHP, so the real trick is finding where in the mountain of code to dynamically generate this string for the browser, and to do so in a fashion that doesn't interfere/break with the rest of the forum. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it will take some time.

The easiest way to start is to see if anyone has already fixed this. If Ron hasn't already done so, I'll give it a shot.

Best Regards,

Al

Ron Earp

Admin
Al, I haven't done anything about it. I've been fooling with some of the other issues with indivduals. If you want to take a whack be my guest, that'd be great.

Ron

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
I've noticed the same "unrefreshed" behavior on other vBulletin based forums, however the unread/read flag seems to get refreshed after about 10 minutes (don't know if this is an admin changeable frequency or is embedded in the software).

I've also found that if there are several new posts in a single area, only the "newest" post turns up when you click the "new posts" button on the toolbar. The "older" new posts don't show up, so you have to go trolling, area by area for them.

I subscribe to several vBulletin forums, so I keep a shortcut to each of their "new posts" buttons in a folder on my desktop. Makes it very handy to see what's new, however if I haven't checked the forums in a week or so, then I manually troll through each area to see what's new.

John

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Since were getting into this more, here another related peculiar event.

If I read an new post thread and in that thread there is a link to another site and I proceed to clicked that link, the current thread is immediately updated to "read".

Ron Earp

Admin
Try it now, but FIRST mark all read and try it over a day or so. I switched it from cookies based to Database based. You'll find that Mark All Read button at the bottom of the main forum page. Otherwise, it'll take 30 days before the forum will consider the default that you read something.

Ron

Chris Kouba

Supporter
I know this is probably the smallest thing, but it looks like it's working (at least for me) now. THANK YOU RON!! It was really frustrating...

Cheers!
Chris

rockonsmile

Back