Fuel Tank Safety Question!!!

Hi All

Sorry for what may be a lame question but I need some advice regarding the fuel tank on my KVA. I am nearing the end of my build and have recently taken off the fuel tank to check a problem. The tank was filled with a wire mesh type material that had small pieces coming off blocking the fuel system. The tank must be quite old now so I can only assume that it has degraded. I have stripped all of this material out and it looks like it was put in after the tank was made anyway.

I would like to know if this material is required to stop the movement of the fuel and if I should find an alternative. Would it be ok to leave it empty (due to the already limted fuel capacity, mine has only one tank) or is this dangerous. The tank is divided in two as I found when removing the mesh so it is not just one long chamber. I have seen that you can buy safety foam from one source but does this take up a lot of the capacity. Any help on this would be great on what to do and information on suppliers.

Thank you

Simon

The fillings in the tanks are mainly for two reasons : -
Stop fuel sloshing about giving unwanted weight transfers and in the event of an impact to the tanks slow the release of fuel.
There shouldn't be much difference in volume inside the tank, just don't fill it right upto the filler neck as it slows up fuel entering, you need some sort of baffle or space to let the fuel in and air out.
I used the foam from ATL fuel cells in Milton Keynes, they sell bags of off cuts, one of which is more than enough for a pair of tanks.

Hi Paul

Thanks for the quick reply, I will give ATL a call and see what they can supply. I was a bit worried if this can be done after the event when a tank has already been made. I assumed that normally this material would be put in position when the fuel tank construction is done. Hopefully ATL can help.

Many thanks

Simon

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Fuel Tank

Simon

It sounds like your tank was manufactured by Hi Tech welding in the 80s.

They did not use foam but expo net which looks like swarf. As you say it breaks off and cloggs fuel fiters etc. and causes lots of problems.

If you are going to use foam make sure you leave an area for the sender unit to operate in.

If you need any help give me a call.

Thanks

Andy

Howard Jones

Supporter
Andy, do you know if the ATL foam will be OK with unleaded gas? I know most race series use leaded race gas and this is the primary market for fuel cells. There have been problems, seals, hoses, gaskets etc. with older cars using unleaded.

As far as not using anything inside a GTD side pod tank. I wouldn't. Slosh from both acceleration and braking will be a problem. This is a issue on FULL tanks even with the original stuff inside. It would surly be much worse with no baffling inside. I think you would have gas leaking out the filler under hard breaking. There is also the safety issue in a shunt.

Thanks for all the replies guys, as usual my questions have been anwered. I have phoned ATL and they are able to supply what I require. I can only assume Howard that the foam ATL supply can be used with unleaded. I will call them again today just to make sure. From the information I have been given the yellow coloured foam they supply is for use with petrol and offers the best resistance from degrading.

Andy, you are quite right with your description of what was in my fuel tank. It had just degraded and was sending pieces for material into the fuel system. I am pleased I have found the problem now and before I fire up my new engine!.

I would like to say Andy a big thank you for all the help you have given me during my KVA build over the last year. It would not have been possible without the assistance of Tornado and the parts I have been supplied. I took great pleasure cutting away the existing Ford Cortina front suspension and installing the new wishbones you sent. It really is looking good now and should work perfectly.

In an effort to get the car on the road this summer I am going to live with the old type rear suspension set up and modify that over the winter. I hope that these are also parts I will be able to get when I am ready.

Thanks All

Simon

foam

Simon

Dont assume that the foam is ok for unleaded.
Howard is right as I had the same problem trying to find a supplier for unleaded.

To the point I couldnt find any one who could give me a straight answer.
So I baffled the tank instead.

Jim

I just phoned ATL and spoke to their technical department. They have said the Yellow coloured baffle foam produced is suitable for all petrol applications, including unleaded. That being said, I did not gain any real in depth details from them, mainly just a confirmation it would be ok.

So the debate for me will now be to go for it or perhaps do what Jim has suggested and install baffles. The foam route would be easier, but hey, nothing has been easy since I started building this KVA!!!. Still I can now see light at the end of the tunnel, it should be ready for MOT in the next three or four weeks....WoooHooo!!!!!!!

Simon

Fuel tank safety

Simon
The foam I used is called "explosafe foam" and is a reddish orange color, and said to be safe with gasoline and alcohol fuels. Also as Andy said leave room for your sender travel, if this is a problem there are senders available that move vertically thru a tube, and the foam nearby is not an issue as there are no moving parts outside the sender. Hope some of this helps.
Cheers
Phil

Thanks Phil

I am going to install the foam on Saturday and will take care around the position of the sender unit. Hopefully it should not be a problem. I am pleased I have asked this question and got some advice. If I had left the tank with nothing inside I would have been worried every time I went out in the car!

Regards

Simon

Back