Centroid fuel gauge senders.

I have the centroid fuel gauge senders, the capacitance type with no moving parts and they work really well but the there isn't quite enough adjustment on them to get my Smith gauges to read to the end of the scale (Full). I'm sure that I read somewhere that somebody had managed to adapt/modify the wiring to make them work correctly, but can't remember where I saw it. Anybody seen this article anywhere ? Could have been in Fortification but I couldn't find it in my back issues when I looked.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
They might be the wrong resistance range. I had this problem due to a mix up on a fuel cell and had similar problems. The I don't know what the ohm range is for the smiths gauges, but you need to find that out and see which part number the centroid senders have to determine what range they will work with. Also some gauges are backwards in the way they sense the resistance so that is also a factor with matching the gauge and sender.

The make the senders here in the USA and have a web site, but easier to send them an email for the info. They were about $45USD for custom ones in any lenght and range if you have to replace them.

http://www.centroidproducts.com/

HTH

Sandy

Centroid fuel guage senders

Paul..
I had a similar problem with a Jag that had a chevy small block installed. The resistance is different on the Smiths guages.
Since a fuel guage is esentially a voltmeter it can be fooled. I suggest you get a potentiometer (Volume control etc.), I got a cheap one from Radio Shack, Approx 2000 ohms. Then put it inline with your sender wire, adjust it so that your guage reads what you think is correct and remove it, measure the resistance of the Pot and get a small resistor which can be hidden inline and you will be good to go. This method will add resistance (Guage reading too high). If you need to make the guage read higher put the pot in Parallel with the sender wire, this will create less resistance and give a higher reading. Do the measurement as above and all should work. If your guage reads backwards for voltage then the two methods may need to be reversed...experimenting a little will get you there.
I hope all this may help
Cheers
Phil

Back