Got my Audi 01E, questions about it?

S

svsgt1

I just got my Audi 01E in from Germany yesterday and I'm extremely excited about it. I'm trying to get the sellers permission to post his info on this board as he was willing to ship it to the US and I know these are hard to find here for a good price. If anybody has any questions about where I got it then email or PM me but don't hijack my thread.

Anyway, there are 4 or 5 male screw in caps located on the right side of the box. They look like AN-8 threads but I'm not sure. What are these for? My first guess was that they are there for the boxes that have an oil cooler on them and these ports are used for the scavange and return lines but does anybody know for sure what they are used for.

Also does anybody know where I can buy a lever to fit on the shifter attached to the box? Or a part number if it is just an Audi piece. I don't mind fabricating one myself but I rather just spend the money and save the time.

If you guys need pictures let me know so I can go take some and better describe what I'm talking about.

Thanks,
Adam

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Adam,

Are you referring to the four silver caps as shown in the attached photo of my 01E?

Regards,

Al

Attachments

• 77006-DSC_5911.JPG
    77006-DSC_5911.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 751
S

svsgt1

Actually I'm reffering to all 6 silver caps. I noticed the two closest to the front (that are pointing almost 90 deg at each other) have something to do with the shifter. I pulled the back one out and it seems to be part of the "spring" mechanism that makes the shifter go back to the center when you move the stick left or right. So I'm assuming that these two are for that and nothing else but please correct me if I'm wrong. When I pulled them oyt they were male threaded fittings with a ball point on the end.

Anyway, So what are the other four silver caps?

Thanks,
Adam

S

svsgt1

Mark,

I don't mind telling you how much I paid or anything. I got the box for $1500 US after shipping. The box was just over a $1000 US and shipping was just under $500 US, so $1500 all together. I got it off Ebay.de as I found a seller that said he would ship it world wide. Actually I know someone in Germany that was going to help me so I tried to buy it from a seller that didn't say they woudl ship it to the US and Ebay wouldn't let me bid on it. So I just waited to find a seller that woudl ship it to me and friend never had to help me. I took a risk and it worked out. Actually after I bid on the box, I saw two more that popped up with sellers willing to ship to the US. So they are definietly out there and it only took me a few weeks to find it. Here is the link to the item, it will give you the sellers information and his other items. I must say the seller was extremely bad at emailing me or contacting me through IM. In fact the only time they emailed me was when I owed them money and when he received it. A little worrying but I got it and it looks to be in really good condition.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8060559605&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

There was also no picture of the box but it did say it was a DQS model (which is what I wanted. Wide first gear, necked down input shaft and geared for a top speed of 240mph for me) And that is what I got.

Thanks,
Adam Grosso

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
You are correct. The silver caps retain the spring mechanisms which return the gate to neutral. The act fore/aft and side to side. I'm not aware of an off the shelf shift mechanism although there are a few folks around on the forum that have build nice linkages.

S

svsgt1

Thanks for the info. Are all 6 caps used for the shift mechanism? I'm assuming they are with 2 of the for the left/right motion and 4 of them for the front/back motion.

Anyway, I have seen some of others shift mechanisms and they pretty nice. I'm probablly going to just fabricate one like that. The box seems to shift very nice. Its very smooth with a nice engagement feel. I can't wait to get my shifter attached. But then again I need to finish building the engine and mat them together and put it in the car and get it working before any of that can happen. lol

Dqs>?

There is another guy advertising in the For Sale section, who has another 01E 5 spd. His is a CXU number, could anyone explain the difference to me?

Thanks.

Audi used lots of different 3-letter codes on the 016 and 01E transaxles. Gearing differences and FWD/AWD designations, primarily, although the transaxles have been continuously improved over time as OEM horsepower levels have increased (e.g., the change to a wider first gear in the 01E boxes to address failures in the field).

Some of the earlier 01Es were 5 speeds, the newer ones are all 6 speeds.

I don't have the gear ratios for a CXU box handy but the seller should be able to provide that information to you.

Thanks

Thank you sir!

Maybe you could check my other post on the Saginaw to corvair diff, and be as helpful?

Peace
Ryan

Back