GT 40 Roll Cages

Gentlemen

I have recently joined this group as a potential new CAV GT40 owner for use in competition ( Historic road rally events). It would be greatly appreciated if anyone has some pics of roll cage designs that have beeen utilised in their vehicles.

Any help would be appreciated

Thank You

David McDonough

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Maybe this will help:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Rollcage1.JPG
    Rollcage1.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 836
  • Rollcage2.JPG
    Rollcage2.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 793
David,
You will find as many designs as there are manufacturers(sp). If you want one in the car all the time, have it put in at the time of the build. Because of the shape of the cabin, a 6 point system seems to work out the best for forces in all directions. There is a company in Mount Olive, Alabama, Kirk Racing Products that make a roll cage that is detachable(read bolt in) that is certified for SCCA and other organisations. They were going to make my exhaust system at one time, but we couldn't get together on a convenient time. Talk to Mark Stewart. I will try to post some pics of my cage. Hope they make it.

Bill

Attachments

• gt40 58.jpg
    gt40 58.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 772
  • gt40 60.jpg
    gt40 60.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 794
  • gt40 66.jpg
    gt40 66.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 791
  • gt40 67.jpg
    gt40 67.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 791
That is the basic design. The only thing missing in all of the roll cages is some kind of triangulation. It is absolutely mandatory you add some kind of cross bar to avoid the collapse of the rool bar in a turn over situation. It can be a bar diagonally across the main hoop or a bar from the left side of the drivers head to the top of the left side sponson. In the later case it can be easily made into a removable piece.

Bill

Bill
Thank you for your reply. I agree. Compared to what we usually run, the cages are fairly basic. They are of course designed to be a " roll cage " and protect in the event of an inversion. We are really looking for something to protect in the event of a big side impact as well.. like a tree !! From past experience ....... especially with the positioning of the fuel cells.

At this stage we are maybe thinking of just buying a vehicle and then looking at removing the tanks and triangulating intrusion bars into the side pods. The fuel tank ( albeit reduced capacity maybe able to be relocated into the front aka Porsche. We wouldnt be using the power booster set up or alternatively we may be ablle to use smaller side pod tanks to accomodate the bars. We can get by with a 60 litre ( 15 gallon) set up.

May have to get the car first and play around a bit.

Thanks

David

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi David,

Nice pics Tim, Bill. We've had the technical inspectors in from CASC, the Canadian Automobile Sport Club to give guidence on roll cage configuration and other issues relating to fuel cells, seats and driver restraints.

The CASC is the FIA affliate organization here, even so each country can have technical specifications slightly different. CASC looks closely at the SCCA and FIA. In some areas the requirements are greater here than other places. So at the end of the day we should have a "race car conversion kit" for CAVs that should pass scrutineering anywhere.

Bill's right about triangulation too. Check out page 60 on http://www.casc.on.ca/documents/regulations/06RaceRegs.pdf It's a wee bit of work to do!

Anyone interested in racing these cars, please drop me a line. As always,have a great day.

Cheers

Back