Southern GT #006.

OK, we're off! Something like six weeks from first seeing the Southern GT I've got chassis 006 in the garage! The word "committed" springs to mind. I must admit to being a little stuck for words, it's been a long term ambition to get this far, I don't think it will really sink in till tomorrow when I get up and open the garage door.

Attachments

• June06 013 copy.jpg
    June06 013 copy.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,960
Last edited:
Garage is not the biggest in the world and will be cramped at times. That's my mate "Ted", one of us is a big softy?

Attachments

• June06 041 copy.jpg
    June06 041 copy.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,929
Outside Micks Workshop collecting chassis this morning. I was surprised at how light it was at the other end putting it in the garage.

Attachments

• June06 039 copy.jpg
    June06 039 copy.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 1,952
Last edited:
Don't expect the car to be ready this time next year (how did you do that Jerry?), I reckon on at least 2 1/2 years but hopefully less. As you can see the Workshop shed is awaiting attention post house move.

Attachments

• copy.jpg
    copy.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1,917
  • June06 040 copy.jpg
    June06 040 copy.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,864
Last one for today. After cutting the hedge tomorrow I shall start opening boxes and get a feel for things. Thank you Mick.

Attachments

• June06 031 copy.jpg
    June06 031 copy.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,880

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Graham

Congratulations on your new baby - I remember the feeling of just looking and thinking "wow" it's here

Enjoy

Ian

Ted.

Thanks Ian and Brian.
Stand-by gaurd: Only when I'm off duty!!
Today:- Stood and stared, stared and stood. Yep, it's really there! Played with a couple of panels and assembled springs onto shocks. Made a good contact today thanks to my brother in-law for the powder coating of components. I should like to do the panels to match the chassis - depending on cost. I am using black rivets also. Does anyone have a contact for polyurethane body sealer?

graham inchley said:
Does anyone have a contact for polyurethane body sealer?

Hi Graham
Congratulations on getting your chassis, by body sealer do you mean panel adhesive??
If so I know of a great product called 'bond and seal'
I have a few tubes left over from the panel job I did if you are interested.
Regards
Bud

Ron Earp

Admin
3M 5200 Marine Sealant. Have a look in the search, good stuff and will take care of the bonding of panels to the chassis.

Ron

Hi Graham,
The body panal sealant/adhesive that i used is Wurth KD bond and seal. It was supplied by RF with the kit.( just gone out to the garage to check which type it was and noticed that the use by date was 04/11/04. I didnt recive the kit till 28/10/04 so that only gave me seven days to get the panels on before the stuff expired!)
Hope your build is progressing well, jerry

Body sealant/adhesive.

Thank you Gents for the above assistance, that's cleared that one up.
FYI I am using closed end rivets to prevent moisture ingress into the chassis. Going to squirt a bit of oil into each section of chassis member before securing down the panels as well. To minimse dissimilar metal corrosion the rivets will be wet assembled as we go along. All time consuming stuff but if I don't do it the voice of conscience will pester me for ever!
The crash in Germany is a real tragedy, it must be terrible for the family. I am pleased to have stuck with purchasing a steel space frame chassis as I do believe they afford better protection. The SGT incorporates the roll bar as an integral part of the chassis which is a factor I particularly like.

Thanks again Fellas!

Graham,
Try Innotec at http://www.innotecworld.com/

The adhesive is called Adseal. I know people have used it, but not me yet, as I have just finished my last cartridge of Sixaflex. I can say the stuff I have used from them is pretty good so far, I've used the Flexi Coat stuff for stone chipping, sound prtoection on the panels in the front.

Brett

Belly Skin.

Transferred the pre-drilled holes from the belly skin to the chassis last night. That felt great actually getting the cutting tools out, made all the more accurate with one eye closed and my tongue sticking out!

Lump

Not much progress at the coal face recently, been away and such like. Have located a couple of '68 + '69 Mustang 289 lumps. Both are in bits but complete, save for a piston and rod which were kept by the previous owner as a keep sake! One has a 0.040" over bore and an Edelbrock 7122 camshaft. Has any one used this cam before and if so what were it's characteristics?

Chris Melia Bodyshell.

Christmas comes but twice a year!
Got home yesterday trying not to appear over excited in front of mission control. Mission control knows this and takes advantage of the situation and suggests we go out for a bite to eat (this doesn't happen very often)! I can just see the nose section of the front clip through the window in the garage. What does a man do in a situation like this? Hands in pocket (to minimise tenacious body language) I suggest that, because it is too hot to go out, I get fish and chips and we can sit in the back garden. Bingo, mission control accepts (deep rooted compromise really).
Fish and chips acquired in record time, scoffed even quicker, tea drunk like I stole it and made my way to the garage.
First impressions: Yesssssssss. Phoned Chris to thank him trying (again) not to sound like a kid in a sweet shop. It's all there, a light weight bodyshell. Took it outside and arranged the various bits into position for photographs (to follow), dog, children, other local children and mission control (with knowing smile) came out to take a butchers.
This is another milestone, the acquisition of a major component. Engine next.

Southern GT6

Damn how it appears to mission control, I would have been out to the garage like a shot. I bet there will be no ducking out for F&C when it is registered. Ha! I look forward to seeing the pics.

Cheers

Jack

Back