Audi 01E and LS1 measurements NEEDED. HELP!

S

svsgt1

I'm making a custom LS1 to Audi 01E adapter but I need one critical deminsion that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I need to know how thick to make my custom flywheel so if anybody has the distance from the mounting surface of the gearbox/engine to the friction surface of the flywheel please let me know what it is. In other words I need the distance of where the gearbox and engine mate to where the face of the flywheel sits.

Two other less important things:
- Does anyone have a bolt pattern drawing with the correct measurements for the LS1 and/or Audi 01E that I can double check my measurements with.

- Also does anyone have the diameter and depth of the hole that the pilot bearing sits in on the flywheel?

Thanks,
Adam Grosso

S

svsgt1

Flatchat,

I'm going with an Audi clutch setup, so the flywheel I'm going to make will have to have that bolt pattern on it. The flywheel will be custom obviously but I will make it the stock Audi diameter. But the only thing I need is how "thick" to make the flywheel. I'm going to use all stock Audi parts (slave cylinder, clutch, throwout bearing, flywheel diameter) so I want the clutch to sit in the correct stock position. This is why I need the dimension of where the flywheel surface is in relation to the gearbox/engine mouonting surface.

I am going to relocate the starter to the front of the engine so I don't have to worry about a ring gear on the flywheel. I also don't have to worry about any clearance issues with the starter. It will also allow me to make the adapter plate thinner as the starter doesn't have to reach the stock Audi diameter sized flywheel.

S

svsgt1

RF054,

I understand this is a ford based forum that is why I wasn't expecting to get the LS1 measurements. But I do know there are people running the Audi 01E gearbox here so that is why I asked about that dimension. The critical dimension that I need (the distance from the flywheel friction surface to the gearbox/engine mating surface) is independent of what motor I attach to the Audi box. This measurement is needed when mating the Audi 01E to a Ford engine, that is why I asked. If anyone knows this then please let me know.

Thanks,
Adam Grosso

Ron Earp

Admin
Might be hard to get. There are folks with O1Es waiting to be put in and installed, but, I don't know of any that are actually running around. In fact, do a search and you'll see some folks discussing making adapter plates for Fords - that isn't even all sorted yet although people are planning to use them.

Ron

Adam,

I'm afraid it is very much dependent on your clutch setup.

If you intend to employ the use of an Audi clutch assembly, then perhaps visit your local Audi shop to measure that distance while they're doing a clutch R&R. Flywheel friction surface to motor/bellhousing distance on any 6 speed Quattro w/ 01E should be the same.

If you intend on adapting some other clutch assembly, then you'll likely be doing a lot measuring. Pressure plate setup height specs would help greatly when trying to determine the throw out bearing position.

Andys

I've got the 01E in my Bailey Edwards GT40 and it is connected to a built vintage ('65 SBF)...great unit. You could contact Peter Frost who built my 01E along with all of the adapters ([email protected]). Peter owns Racing Hi-Tech Services, P.O.Box 131306, Northmead, 1511, South Africa, 011 914 4074. Good luck.
Larry Lessie

S

svsgt1

Yes I'm using a stock Audi clutch setup so the measurement should be a simple one to get and can be had from any Audi that uses this 6 speed.

Larry, Thanks for the info about the person that built your 01E and adapters. I will contact them asap.

If anybody actually knows this distance I'm looking for then please let me know.

Thanks,
Adam Grosso

Back