A/C Schematic - Help Needed

Hi guys,

I am having an intermittent problem with the air conditioner on my CAV. For no reason I can determine, it sometimes fails to start. Operation is normal at other times. I suspect the thermostat switch may be bad or I may just have a loose connection somewhere.

Unfortunately I only have 1/2 of a hand drawn A/C schematic, shown here. Can someone help me out and complete this schematic for me? Or does anyone have an A/C schematic for a CAV or any make of replica to post?

Thanks for your help. It will be 108F (42C) in Phoenix today and the amazing thing is that when the A/C is working, the inside of the car stays cool and the engine runs about 185F (85C) !!!

Bob

Attachments

• CAV-AC-Schematic-small.jpg
    CAV-AC-Schematic-small.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 626

Ron Earp

Admin
Bob, do a quick check on the AC pressure switch and see if it is bad. You can jumper the leads going to this switch and see if the compressor kicks on. Most times these switches are located around or on the drier, which will probably be up front. If it then works well you've got one of two issues, a faulty switch or low pressure. I assume you are sure the pressure in the system is correct?

Ron

Ron,

Thanks for the suggestions. I did check pressure switch for continuity and it was fine. I also jumpered the switch with no effect. The system has been evacuated and recharged. Cooling is ok when the compressor does start but sometimes it just does not start. (Also there is a wire to ground from the compressor but it is not shown on the above schematic.)

Bob

Back