Simple is good.....fuel level

Ron Earp

Admin
I was thinking about using or fabricating something like this for the Lola fuel level system:

http://www.visilume.co.uk/pdf/Rectangular%20Sightglass.pdf

No messy electric senders that half the time don't read right, no wiring to worry about, and no gauges to worry about locating. Could even mount them out of the cockpit somewhere if needed, but I think they could go in the cockpit fine - they do on aircraft all the time and don't cause issues.

Any thoughts?

R

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
We use these things in the petrochem industry. They are indeed simple and robust, and are used to read levels in vessels that are operating at high pressures.

They're pretty heavy because the glass is encased between two blocks of steel, and they're also very expensive.....

However, if these are really what you want, you can probably find them from a petrochem "junk" dealer who sells surplus pressure vessels and accessories. Do a search for "Surplus reflex level gauge" and you might find one pretty cheap.

Ron Earp

Admin
I was thinking of making them, nothing magic about them. Probably use aluminum, pretty thick, for the part that welds to the tank since the mono RCR chassis is aluminum. Then, use some stainless for the top part that sanwiches the borosilicate plate inbetween.

I'll do what you suggest and look for some scrap, might get one that way, or via the airport in finding some sight glasses that nobody wants. The simple design used to have just a glass tube armored and anchored in metal, to allow the gas to flow into the tube.

R

Ron Earp

Admin
A wealth of information - web catalog/site or printed catalog? I used to have a printed catalog if I can find it, but I've not seen it in years.

Ron

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
I used something like that ( clear tube from the bottom of the tank to the top, mounted externally) on a FV I once raced....worked then.

I am not sure that they allow this kind of thing on race tracks nowdays....

Sure is simple.

The (ex) company yacht had a clear fuel return line that ran vertically alongside the fuel tank and connected to a fitting at the bottom. The fuel level could then be checked even with ignition off. A simple, safe and cheap solution but not very useful when the engine is running. A second “fake” return line might solve that problem though.

Back