Help With Missing Clutch Parts

Hi all
I have a ZF2 and the Kennedy bellhousing. I need to know what I need to activate the clutch. I saw one other setup that had a bar through the two side holes. I assume it activates a clutch release bearing.

Thanks
Bill D

bellhousing002.jpg

bellhousing001.jpg

missing clutch parts

Those bits should have come with the transaxle, however, now is a good time to consider a Tilton or McCleod hydraulic t/o bearing.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
I can't say that I am as enthusiastic about the internal TOB's even though I am using one.

Given the tediousness of removing the engine and trans if the internal TOB fails I would go with an external unit if I were doing it over.

Pardon my ignorance ,but wont you have to remove the trans from the motor regardless of which Throw Out Bearing (TOB) type is in use if it needs replacing, or have I missed out on some clever trick for the last 35 years ?

Bill there are many brgs now available and @ lower $ than Tilton. Howe and Quartermaster are a couple that spring to mind.

Jac Mac

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
I am sure that your 35 years of experience counts for a lot and I am equally sure that you're not that ignorant but I am surprised that you are not able to discern that the real issue here is the failure rates of the two items in question - it seems that the internal (meaning hydraulic) TOB's are extremely failure prone- hence the reluctance to install one where replacement may take 10 hours of labor.

(Of course ALL TOB's are internal, what is being referred to is the placement of the actuating slave - I guess I didn't need to tell you that - what with all your experience and your lack of ignorance, right?)

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Bill-

The external activation is in a pic on Ron's build:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13034&stc=1&d=1142294940

The slave cylinder pushes or pulls on that bellcrank to apply the TOB to the pressure plate. The internal reference is an annular hydraulic piston arranged around the input shaft on which the TOB rests. Simpler, yes- in total parts and such. More complicated due to the configuration of the piston and the effort to repair/replace.

There was another pic somewhere showing the interior of the bellhousing with the throw out lever and other hardware installed but I couldn't locate it. Maybe it was Ron's too or someone else knows where it is.

Good luck though. Are you getting ready to install the drivetrain?

Chris

Back