Mach II Mustang & Allan Moffat

Those are Allan Moffat's legs. He's inspecting the Bud Moore 302 with ZF transaxle attached just prior to it being installed in the race version of the Mustang Mach. Car caused quite an uproar in Warren, Michigan.

Attachments

• Allan Moffat_MachII.jpg
    Allan Moffat_MachII.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 623
Jac Mac

Don't think this engine is fitted with the tunnel ports. We had them on the drawing board at the time I shot this picture.

speed220mph said:
Those are Allan Moffat's legs. He's inspecting the Bud Moore 302 with ZF transaxle attached just prior to it being installed in the race version of the Mustang Mach. Car caused quite an uproar in Warren, Michigan.

Excuse my ignorance, but was this Mustang built as mid-engined race car, or is the comment "just prior to it being installed" mean that the transaxle was removed first? I can see how it would have caused an uproar if he'd tried to sneak the car through inspection with the engine behind him :D

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Chris,
The car was built as a "mid-engined race car" but not for the Trans-Am or other production based race series. It was a "what if" for other possible race series as I understand.
Rick

Actually, it was done first as a concept car, then the race version was done just to exam the possibilities. This had the Vette folks in a twit, but The Deuce pulled the plug on all racing programs, essentially killing the Mach !! project. It was revived later when Bunkie became the CEO and the Screeming Yellow Zonker (Larry Shinoda) built a concept car in his studio. The Deuce invervened again and out the door went Bunkie and Larry.

Last edited:
Back