Any news about the RCR-917?

I was looking around the Internet and just happen to stumble across the Race car Replicas site and find the RCR917. I actually found out about it because I was reading a fourm where some people were talking about the LMK917, that Australian made replica. They were saying how that one was not very high quality and that its not an accurate representation of a 917 when placed side by side with a real one. One guy went as far to say it was the worst modern fiberglass job he has ever seen. It is also priced WAY out of my price range. Then someone brought up the RCR car.

I looked on the RCR site and checked out the development car and it looks great. But to tell the truth, I am quite disappointed with the RCR site. It doesn't look very professional and really doesn't have much information about the car. I have been checking the site for some time, hoping there would some updates; but nothing ever came. The RCR products look like they are of fantastic quality; I have seen some of the customer's site who are building the GT-40s, all I have to say is 'awesome' about those. But I think the RCR website wrongly says something negative about the company, which doesn't seem to be true. Hey, presentation is everything!

I'm a huge fan of the Porsche 917 and a pretty avid club racer.

Anyway, I would really like some more info on this car.
Its going to be made of chromo, how much is it going to weigh? How about engine and transmission options? I know that a Porsche 6 will fit, but what about anything else? Could a liquid cooled engine be made to work in this chassis? I'm really not big on the idea of using a Porsche engine unless theres totally no other way. I know Porsche engines are great and everything, but their price/performance ratio is quite poor, especially if your trying to reach the original cars hp levels.

I have never built a car from a kit before, I see that this is going to come as a roller. How much of the car is going to be complete when it comes? Is it only going to be a chassis with the body and the suspension installed? does everything else need to be done? If so, to what end?

Will I fit in this car? I'm 6'0".

Hows it going to handel? seems like it should be pretty good because your developing it on a race track, but would like to see some lap times and see how it compairs to other cars and the original.

I have more questions, but I guess this is good for now. I have to give my fingers a break!

Thanks,
John

John

Personally I think RCR's website is very nice.
The 917 really is a niche product, so I think Fran purposely left it vague
so truly interested parties would call him. Like the P4...It will never sell in any volume...really looks more like a labor of love for Fran and his associates.

MikeD

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Mike,
you are spot on.

John,

please contact RCR directly about the 917.

I checked the RCR website and I dont see any mention of another manufacturer.

regards

After reviewing my original post, I seem to be misleading about the Australian 917 I was talking about. I was just trying to tell how i found the RCR-917, which was through a different fourm.

Back