Cruise Control and Alarm Systems

I’m currently shopping around for a cruise control and alarm systems for my DRB here in Australia.

Can anyone out there confirm that they’ve installed a cruise control into their 40 and that it works well? If so, could you please advise the brand and model? I did see the thread on this from a while ago, but there didn’t seem to be a successful result.

The two options seem to be vacuum operated and electric servo operated. I’m dubious about the compatibility of a vacuum system with a supercharged motor and the heat under the rear engine cover. That leaves electric servo systems, of which there are quite a few (Command, Dakota, Pacific, Auscruise), but which is best, or to be avoided? Any recommendations gladly received.

Similarly with the alarm system; lots of options (Cobra, Autowatch, Cheetah 777), but which to go for, which to avoid?

Thanks for any help,

Lance

No response to my post. Is there no-one that's successfully installed a cruise control system into a GT40?

What about satisfaction, or otherwise, with alarms?

ANY information would help me greatly.

Lance

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Sorry Lance, but I don't know of anyone who has fitted cruise control to a GT40 here, but my guess is that a servo-controlled setup would be the way to. One thing I found is that with the very long throttle cable & the 8-stack, I needed quite strong springs to ensure that it all shuts down reliably on idle - could be a challenge for a servo ?

If you are looking at s/c, things may be different, depending on your induction setup ?

IMHO, these cars are complicated enough to just get going in a reliable basic fashion - adding cruise control is just asking for more trouble !

As to alarm/immobilsers, I went with a reputable brand 3-way passive setup - ECU power, fuel pump relay & starter solenoid. I brought all 6 wires out of the loom in black, but labelled them with my own "secret" code so that I know what to short with what in case of an immobilser failure or change-out. (For obvious reasons, I won't publicise the brand).

Hope this helps a bit.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

cruisecontrol

Lance if you are fitting cruise & have an 8 stack manifold dont use the vacuum servo as it will pulse like mad.
Logic tells you that fitting cruise shouldnt be an issue ,it only sees a speed input and a few other inputs.
A car is a car.
If someone had trouble maybe the unit was rubbish or vacuum servo on 8 stack.

Jim

I have bosch cruise control on my Saabs Both have 12vdc vacuum pumps and do not use engine vacuum.

The setup works great. The plumbing and vacuum switches will be easy, the electrics will be a bit harder with the control box and then the speedo sensor what ever you choose electronic or cable drive. Saab has both.

The system is really quite simple and works very good low or high speed. This would be my choice. Bosch vacuum pump and controls.

alarm, I have no clue.

Not sure I will have cruise on my setup,,,
best

Back