Audi 016 ratio

Hello this is my first post i have a audi 016 trans in my shop and was wandering if anybody might know what ratio it is the number on the top of the bell housing is AFC i have a 5N in my car now just wandering if its any different than the 5n or not

This was posted early here. see the attachment

it appears the only difference is the 4:11 for the 05 and 3:89 for afc

Best

Attachments

• audi_ratiosV5.ZIP
    18.9 KB · Views: 595
The 5N has a slightly taller 5th gear ratio because of the 4.11 final ratio. Some people have installed the 5N 5th gear into the other boxes to get a taller final gear ratio to lower RPM at highway speed. The other gear ratios are the same.

Ron Earp

Admin
Have a look down at the bottom of the page. Notice how the forum automatically searches for threads that are similar and shows them to you. For better results you can use the search engine and specific terms.

Ron

Thanks for all the info i might go ahead a change to the AFC for now till i can find a used 944turbo box thanks again for all the info.

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
Tony, did you change to the AFC? If yes, how did the AFC box perform for you? Good and well placed ratios?

I havent had a chance to try it yet i have a small block chevy in it with twin turbos and im still working on all that stuff at the moment i have driven the car with this trans for 2 years now. I will put the other in soon butt it will probably be this winter as i would like to get a posi unit for it first i would really like to find a 944 turbo box for the higher ratio. Looking at the spead sheet of the two boxes(5N-AFC) i think the AFC will be about 200 RPM lower in high gear butt i really need somthing even higher with the turbos as they have more than enough low end grunt for a higher ratio.

Here are the ratios for an 016 5N with the 944T 3.375 R&P:
Audi 016-5N w/ 944T 3.375 Diff. 1st 12.15 2nd 7.193rd 4.59 4th 3.27 5th 2.46
These are net ratio's (Diff x gear), hence 3.60 1st x 3.375 Diff.= 12.15, and so on.

Andy

Andy,
How many teeth are on the pinion of a 5N box.Can the crown wheel be changed seperatley.Auto 944s I think run 11teeth pinion 37 crown or 12pinion 38 crown.You end up with 3.45-1 and 3.08-1.
Are the R&Ps out of auto 944s suitable to fit to the 5N 016 box.
Every 944 Turbo manual I find the box is sold or the R&P is broke.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers.

The auto 944 is completely different. The R & P will not work in any 016/083 transaxles. If you want to spend the money, you could always buy the 944 turbo R & P new, although I can't imagine what it would cost.
There are usually turbo transaxles on e-bay. Keep an eye there and you willl come up with one.

Back