Ex-AAR guy enjoying the cars here

I have always been a big fan of the GT40.
I was also lucky enough to work with Dan Gurney at AAR during its last seasons as a racing car manufacturer and team. Those were good days.

I am a vehicle design engineer by trade, and I have since worked for Ford, Brembo, Prodrive, and now TRW...with a brief stop at Ferrari...and possibly returning there next year.

I include a few pics from AAR in the 1998-99 seasons, and the Eagle, the last of Gurneys racers. I am really impressed by what I have found is available out there in the current replica market, and I look forward to learning and sharing what I can here.
-Eric

Attachments

• AAR 1999-Dan Gurney.jpg
    AAR 1999-Dan Gurney.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 972
  • AAR 997 Toyota 1.jpg
    AAR 997 Toyota 1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 2,492
  • AAR 997 Toyota.jpg
    AAR 997 Toyota.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,095
  • AAR997rollout.jpg
    AAR997rollout.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,108
  • AAR 997 Eagle assembly.jpg
    AAR 997 Eagle assembly.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 991
Thanks guys,

I prowled around here a bit and was really impressed at the cars and knowledge of those building and running them.

I am happy to throw out my two cents, but at the same time I have a lot to learn from here as well. There is a lot of experience and talent going into these cars.

I have a feeling I will have no choice in the end but to build one myself. Just dont know what part of the world ill be living in 6 months from now. I am in Japan currently. maybe italy or USA is next.

Eric

Ron Earp

Admin
Welcome to the forum, really cool pictures! I hope you enjoy it and help us poor folks out who haven't been as fortunate to be around some of those folks and cars.

Ron

Thanks Ron,

I have been lucky and pursued my career in working with the people and companies that I really enjoy. Hasnt made me rich, but I have had a great time of it.

Working around Dan was an experience that I wont soon forget. Also spent alot of time with Phil Remington, who you probably know as the guy along with Caroll Smith, hammered and banged the original GT40s into winners. I am trying to get him to put it all in a book. No luck yet.

I dont know if I'll be any help at all, but I really enjoy seeing this site and all the people here who "get it" about the kind of fun a sports car should be. (it aint aboout numbers or money...but joy)

-Eric

Hey Eric, did you know a Bob Fletcher at AAR? Bob told me, that there was a GT40 chassis stored up in the attic of ARR. Do you know anything about that?

Never met a Fletcher, may have been before my time.
Phil Henderson out of the UK was running the composites shop, and I think he is now with Brammo in Oregon.

As for the GT40 chassis, the answer is maybe. At the time there were two huge warehouses down the street from the main shop, absolutely filled with seemingly priceless bits. From multiple modern Reynard Indy chassis, to old Offy engines and everyrhing in-between. I didnt spend much time poking around in there, but I do remember hearing about Dan wanting to restore several old racing car chassis he had laying around in there. He has since sold off the warehouses and moved whatever was there someplace else. I have no idea whats left.

Dan kept alot of old AAR cars and other parts around. Had I been smart I would have tried to get my hands on alot of it. I know he auctioned off some of it, and I have no idea about the bulk of the parts.

Sorry not to be of more help. I will ask around to see what I can find out.

Eric

Thanks Eric,
I hope I haven't opened up a can of worms with that question. I suspect you will be getting more inquiries now that I've asked you about an original GT40 chassis. I love "barn find" stories! Look and ask around, you might get lucky!
I worked at a shop called Autodynamics in Marblehead, Mass. back in the '60's & '70's. I remember seeing a damaged & stripped out Formula Eagle chassis thrown out in the back of the shop that used to belong to Sam Posey I believe. I heard it was on the roof for years. Being a pilot, I flew over the building hoping to see if that chassis was still there.... NO... gone!

I have some of the parts from the AAR Toyota 987.

While there I saw a wharehouse full of old Can Am mag wheels, engines, etc...

Its still tucked away someplace. I could guess where, but theyd probably kill me.

Cheers
Eric

I also talked with the remaining groups there recently.

The good news is that Justin Gurney is running the place, they are busy (cant say with what), and that the AAR name will be secure for years to come.

I think there may be some very good news from that shop soon.

Cheers
Eric

Just another day on the job...trying to find the watcha-macallit and put it into the thingymajig...!

Attachments

• Brembowork.jpg
    Brembowork.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 506

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Just another day on the job...trying to find the watcha-macallit and put it into the thingymajig...!

Man those Fieros have some room in the engine compartment!! :)

Just jesting of course... :D

As you can see I am completely perplexed asto how a fiero motor fell into this lamborghini !

But i am usually perplexed so its normal~

eric

"Hasnt made me rich, but I have had a great time of it."

Oh, it's made you rich alright, just not monetarily. Consider yourself lucky. I worked at an SCCA race shop back in the 90's when the runoffs started running at Ohio. Doesn't compare to working at AAR but it was racing just the same.

So are involved in the design aspect? I'm an engineer myself self taught in the automotive realm. I'm designing my own car and was hoping I could throw some questions your way from time to time.

I see in your profile under Friends that you haven't made any friends yet. Maybe you are an engineer like me!:laugh:

Nice pictures...

Hi Chris - I send a PM with a email contact

Feel free to ask me anything. I have been lucky to be experienced in design - development- test of chassis, suspension, and vehicle dynamics mostly, though there arent many systems or parts I havent had some experience with.

I have done this for motorsport, concept development, and now OEM. Its bounced me around the world. But I have really enjoyed learning form all the stops. I have worked for Ford, Brembo, Prodrive, Ferrari, and now TRW. (with lots 'o minor jobs in there as well)

cheers
Eric

Back