Lurking Over

Hello All from Hilton Head, SC. I decided to become a member of the best site on the net.

bob bell

HI Mark,

The avatar is a shot of a 2000 Malibu Mirage with a Jetprop PT-6
conversion. I took the picture at Sun & Fun in the parking area.

Bob

Mark,

I am going to PA next week to get a tail wheel endorsement, doing it on a J-3 Cub. I have been flying since 1967 and I am finally starting to think low and slow versus high and fast. I have been flying twins most of my life except for a 69 Comanche 260C, which I owned for 11 years. I currently own a
1966 C-310K. The cost of fuel is really changing my way of thinking.

Bob

Not cloth.....Probably not slow..... but at least the engine's round:)

Welcome aboard Bob....

Attachments

• IMG_9548sml.JPG
    IMG_9548sml.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 357

Ron Earp

Admin
Welcome Bob, I'm getting ready to do the same as you - tailwheel endorsement so I can fly things that are cool. I have only been flying for three years, but I have a strong aversion to fancy aircraft and figure if I can't get there with a compass and looking out the window, then I don't need to go. :)

Hope you enjoy the forum!

Ron

Welcome!!!

Heck guys, I would be happy just getting started on my PPL. Unfortunatly my dad is going to sell his Beech 35K before I get my ticket. My former co-workers though I was crazy reading the FAA flight manual at work during our down time before we were severed. I figured that I might as well put that time to good use!!!!

Maybe I could buy a 150 and trade dad.... hmmmmmmm:)

Thanks for the welcome guys, it looks like a lot of aviation people are on this forum. I cannot imagine what it would feel like to have a P-51 mustang and a GT-40 sitting side by side in a hangar. I am looking forward to purchasing a SPF-GT in the near future. I have been into cars and airplanes my whole life, being in the automobile business, drag racing and flying charter. Really do like this forum, great group of guys.

bob bell

My Dad owned a couple Comanches, Bob, and they were sweet airplanes. He owned a Mooney executive with 201 windshield and cowl mods when he passed away, flew right up until a month or two before he died. He owned a 1946 Aeronca 7AC Champ (4.6 gph :) )when I was a little kid. According to his logbook I got my first ride in that airplane before I was three years old. I actually remember it, and I remember my Dad strapping me into the back seat on top of a couple main-gear tires so I could sit up high enough to grab the stick, see outside, and fly. We'd fly through clouds in the warm summer months, chase geese in the autumn, and I'd get a little tingle down my spine each time the wheels left the runway (I still do, sort of). I spent lots of time hanging around airports when I was a kid and a teenager and I got to fly in and work on some pretty neat stuff. Occasionally I visit a machine shop that's adjacent to a hangar at a local FBO, and every time I catch a whiff of that "airport smell" it takes me right back.

I take my boys to Oshkosh every other year and we love it. I'd like to get back into flying in a couple years. Before I do that, I have a GT40 to finish. :D

Hey Bob and Mark, you guys are bringing back a life time of memories. I just gave up flying. Started in 1961 at the age of 15. Gt40's, the price of gas, and my son going to college is too much for my bank account!! I've worked for the airlines, been an airport manager and owed a couple of planes. 1963 C 172 on floats and a Long Easy. The Long Easy is sitting in the back yard, anyone looking to buy a Long Easy? I miss the flying to Martha's Vineyard ,parking right at the beach for the day and fling home at sunset. Man! it doesn't get any better than that!

Bob,I am in Greenville SC,not too far away. Have you been to McMichael Motorsports near Road Atlanta? He is a great SPF dealer and has a couple of 40's in now. chuck smith

Chuck, I called McMichael Motorsports recently to confirm that they had a demo GT that I could drive. I am planning on flying up there once the heat index gets well below 100 degrees. My wife and I were in your neck of the woods last year, we stayed at the Cliffs on the way to Hendersonville. The weather was real nasty, so we did not get to see much of the countryside.
I flew into Greenville Downtown Airport and rented a car.

bob

Welcome on board Bob, Something about Classic Racecars & Aircraft, the conversation seems to be self generating, someone always has a story to tell.

All good stuff.

As I write this my neighbour just flew over in his Murphy Rebel, my input to that A/C was an exhaust tuned specific to the Lyc cam timing & a muffler built along the lines of a Flowmaster. Problem is I cannot hear the damn thing
now!

Cheers
Jac Mac

what is it with tailwheel endorsements? I need to get mine too so I can fly my homebuilt when it is finished...soon maybe.

Just got my group buy AFS sanding tools so I can paint the plane in a couple of months. Then it is off into the wild blue yonder fo rme.

Back