hydraulic clutch question

My CAV mono has developed an annoying problem. After driving it for 20 or so miles I lose my clutch. The first time it happened I barely made it home but then bled the system (external slave on and RBT zf 5 speed) and it worked fine for awhile but happened again last night . I bled it on site and made it home and by the time I got home the clutch was barely useable. The hyd. lines are far from the headers and do not seem to get overly hot. Any thoughts? thanks; chuck

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Chuck
When you bleed it are you getting air bubbles?
Are you losing fluid (like a failing slave seal)?
If not I would think a new Master cylinder would fix it - could be the seals are allowing flow past them and when you pump the pedal the seals work better but fail when you hold the clutch down (traffic lights etc.) the fluid seaps past.

Apart from anything else the Master is probably easie to change and cheaper thann the other bits.

Ian

I do get air bubbles when I bleed it,but do not appear to be loosing fluid. I am going to park it on an incline today(nose down) and bleed it again.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Chuck,

On some master cylinders, if you don't bench bleed them before installing, it can be a real PITA to get all of the air out of them.

Regards,
Lynn

looks like it is probably the slave. I found seepage at the piston end of it today. anyone have a source for these? I left a message at RBT.

Chuck
Seals in the master and slave cylinders are meant to keep fluid in by their design. The lip faces the fluid...and even slightly worn can suck air or whatever in the opposite direction. I had a problem once where the boot on the master cylinder was causing a vacuum and introducing air...a real bugger to fix, but I replaced the whole deal as the unit was about 5 years old anyway, and I didn't relish a temporary fix with another repair in the near future.
Cheers
Phil

Back