Donnington Kit Car Show

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Kit car

Is it just me? But I really dislike the term "Kit car". It brings to mind something you make out of a Lego set

Kit car my ass

I'm with you Pete. Anybody who has built there own would have had to do as any race car manufacturer does with the exception of the budget. The fact that there are some components that are readily available to bolt on doesn't mean they are Kit cars. These are individually contructed motor vehicles. My view of what is a kit is a car that uses a chassis made by another manufacturer and compents made to suit or borrowed from other cars. While some of us use borrowed components most GT40's are specifically designed chassis or copies of the origonal.

Kit car is so cheap I feel dirty.

It used to be that a 'kit car' used a chassis or body onto which all parts from one donor vehicles were bolted. Think of the cars based around a VW beetle floor pan (beach buggies), or the Dutton cars that use drivetrain and all running gear from say a Cortina or Granada.

A 'component car' was exactly that - a car having no specific donor vehicle, using purpose designed suspension, brakes, steering, etc. This is the category things like the Caterham and westfield fall into.

This makes most of the current GT40s on offer component cars. Trouble is there isn't a specific component car show ;)

Keith

OK folks, it's the " Donnington Limited Home Production Self Assembly Component Kit Replica Clone Copy Donor Car Show 2006"

Or, D.L.H.P.S.A.C.K.R.C.C.D.C.S 2006 for short :eek:

Yaaaay!!boomsmile

anyway, is anyone going?

I agree whith all said. However, the GT40 that we build today has EVOLVED from a car that was once built just that way, from other component cars. The GTD crowd knows that all too well. Yes they were still individually built to their own taste, but none the less they were component cars, or relied on donor vehicles(where did the original taillights come from?). It has just taken time to get the cars to the level of sophistocation that we enjoy today(ABS traction control etc.). So I guess it will take a little longer to get people to change their perspective of what these cars are.
Some people still feel that if you order and then put together the parts, it is still a kit, just like a model airplane. They just don't know what goes into the MAKING or ASSEMBLING of these cars. There is some tab A into slot B. but because we have to alter, modify, and buy other parts for them, it is what makes them what they are.
Pete, I too hate the term when talking about these cars. They should call it what it is, a component car show.

Bill

I believe MDA attended last year but not certain if Mark will be there this year, can confirm and let you know.

When anyone asks "Is it a kit car?" I say no, it's a GT40. ;)

Chris

I should be there with my car if I can fit the gearbox back in time.
The clutch was making an odd noise and turned out to be a collapsed thrust bearing.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Keith1 said:
OK folks, it's the " Donnington Limited Home Production Self Assembly Component Kit Replica Clone Copy Donor Car Show 2006"

Or, D.L.H.P.S.A.C.K.R.C.C.D.C.S 2006 for short :eek:

Yaaaay!!boomsmile

anyway, is anyone going?

Keith very good, after that I would have to go if I lived in the U.K.

I am new to loocking for self biult replicas. not shore if I want to biuld an authentc GT40 or what. Can you tell me who will give me the bets bang fore the buck?

I don't mind the term 'Kit' it's not my favourite but when you say it most people know what you're talking about.

Back