Audi box whirring in 1st gear at take off

Guys,
Question, I have been having some problem recently with my audi box with poor engagement in first gear. I suspected simply that there be play in my external selector mechanism or insufficient throw with the cable in at 1st to completely engauge.
The sound is definately of partial gear engaugement but after a few secs after completly coming off the clutch the gear is fully engauged and the noise ceases.
I am satified that the cabling is setup sith selector central in neutral and sufficient throw in all gears.
Any ideas?
Steve

Stephen, first thing to check is the selector rods/cables, as from what you've described it doesn't sound as though it's selecting correctly.
If that's the case then you'll just need to go right through the selector mech' and get the correct amount of throw to get the gear all the way home.
If you leave it you'll wreck the 1st gear baulk ring, cause possible damage to the gear and selector hub and it'll never select nicely again untill it's stripped and the damaged parts replaced, let hope that's not already the case.
The other obvious way to check this out is reverse selection, if it's just as bad and doing the same going into reverse you'll most likely be looking at either clutch drag or a knackered crank spigot bearing/bush.

Back