Time for an Introduction

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Dear Abby,

I’m hoping you can help. The muscles on my face are beginning to hurt; I fear I’m suffering from permagrin. What can I do?

A faithful reader

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Dear reader,

The problem you think you have is typical for those who have received a call from Fran Hall with the news that RCR has finished yet another order and your new car has been shipped.

That said, the problem you REALLY have is matching the high standards of builds by GT owners before you. Frankly, that’s a near impossible task but a goal to aspire to.

Do yourself a favor and take your wife to dinner (a NICE dinner). Then, go to the garage and make sure all tools are ready to go. And get some rest. Once the car arrives, it is widely understood that you’ll either be at your office or in the garage, taking time off only to fall into bed.

Good luck with the build,

Abby

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Seriously now…

First, thank you Ron Earp, for creating this forum. Your effort continues to affect lives in a positive way, worldwide.

As a boy, dad and I watched racing together, and from time to time pulled out the Strombecker set and raced the slot cars for hours. As the years passed, I raced Formula Ford for some years and even spent five years in the ‘seat of fear’ of an off-road Pro Rally car (including one event with Chris Kouba of GT40s.com fame who, and I am an expert on this detail, has quite the heavy right foot). Dad and I talked from time to time of building a car together though, with my kids at that point in college, no way were there funds like that available. It was only when the fourth and final child was in his senior year and completing his degrees (one in finance, how ironic) that the dream was finally moved to the front burner. It’s dads turn.

Like other RF mates, our first deposit was lost last winter to a shady individual down under. Following some long conversations between my wife and I (Donna would have nothing of letting this dream die), and encouragement from friends Hershal Byrd, Ron Earp and Al Hirsbrunner (all of whom were sold on RCR), it was off to Detroit for a visit with Fran Hall and his team. Before I returned home, a rather large check was left in Fran’s hand.

Stumbling onto GT40s.com more than four years ago, like many, I lurked quietly for years. Only in the last year did I register and offer a comment or two. Now that the dream is becoming reality, it’s time I formally introduced myself and said hello to the group - whose collective wisdom and experience is staggering. I learn something new from you guys every time I log on – and look forward to contributing a thing or two down the road.

The car should be here at the end of the week. I sure hope the permagrin subsides by then.

Best regards,

Tim Dutton
Owner, RCR40 #27

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Glad Dear Abby could help!

Well, Tim, we forum members who have yet to be able to leave our big check with Fran are all jealous right now, but undoubtedly we rejoice when one of our forum members overcomes the devastation that resulted from the RF meltdown and moves on to realize THE dream. Congratulations!

Since you mentioned Dear Abby, I thought I'd plagerize one of John Prine's best for some "modified" lyrics. This is from his song to Dear Abby (with slight alteration by "Dear Dugly"):

"Dear Abby, Dear Abby, now who ever thought
that me and my girlfriend would ever get caught?
We were sitting in the 40, just shooting the breeze
with her hair up in curlers and her pants to her knees.

Signed,

Just Married"

It just goes to show that no matter how deep in the "stuff" you think you are, somebody, somewhere, is in deeper!

Good luck on the build--please post photos for those of us who must live vicariously until we can join the ranks of you lucky.......well, you know!

Doug

Chris Kouba

Supporter
I only recently put together that Dutton and crossle43 was actually a former co-driver. It's amazing how small the world is although odds are that car nerds will usually end up in the same places anyway.

It was great to reconnect with a friend. Attached is a pic of Tim and me in the car (you'll have to trust me that it's us) on our way to our DNF, though we were 2nd overall the night before!

339splash98l.jpg

Congrats on getting your car heading your way and I'm sure you can't wait til it's in your grasp. I can't wait til I get to pull the trigger on one of my own. Post lots of pictures so I can live vicariously and stay in touch Tim.

Chris

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Welcome Tim, a terrific story. Glad to see "the devil from down under" was not able to dent your enthusiasm. BTW he is Irish not an Aussie you know.
Have a great time on the build keep us posted on your progress and try not to ignore the missus to much.

Last edited:

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Congrats and welcome. I got a call from Fran the other day and it left me with a Smile as well as a panic that I have to get my garage in order soon :)

Sandy

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Great news Tim,

I'm looking forward to seeing your delivery pictures (I'll admit that in addition to the car photos, I get quite a kick out of checking out folks garages and shops in the background and seeing what the next thing I "need" to complete my build is!

I know when my car was arrived, it was one of those rare moments where one is able to completely absorb the moment and unknowingly forget about the normal duties of the day like what needed to be done on the house, at work and elsewhere.

Enjoy!

Best Regards,

Al

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the welcome, guys. I appreciate the support.

You sure called it right, Sandy. The call from Fran, informing me that the car was ready, was definitely good news/bad news. Until that call arrived, I didn't think one could have a Cheshire cat grin while simultaneously working on a Class A batch of panic.

We'll get that build thread started... right after I take care of some interior painting my bride has in mind. You know the drill - she won't feel like the new house is hers until the right colors are on the wall! Pete is so right when he advised '...try not to ignore the missus to much.' I may go out to the garage and stare at the new ride but will be weeks until the car receives full attention.

Best regards,

T.

Back