Porsche G50

Hi,

I recently bought a Porsche 5 speed G50 box from a 1989 Carrera, it is the short length box. Now I have been offered a G50 / 03 long length box with LSD, both boxes have done a similar mileage. I realise this is very subjective but would welcolme all opinions on which one would be best for street driving. For some reason and I don't know why I feel I should be sticking with the one I've got. If it helps, if I ever get to complete it, the car will mainly be driven on the street and will not be for racing.

The other problem is what sort of money should I be paying for them and if I decided to buy the second one how easy would it be to sell the first.

Regards

Nick

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Nick,

If the tranny is destined for a GT 40 replica, the long box won't fit. It'd be hanging out the back of the car if its one of the six speeds that I am thinking about. There are some early '90s boxes that will work IF you change out the nose* case on them and shorten the shift rod (they have a large round mount point on the nose.) I haven't really paid much attention to the '90 and newer boxes because, at best, they have to be modified to be used.

Regards,
Lynn

* nose with respect to standard Porsche location: opposite end from flywheel.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
In addition, in the west (USA) you can contact:

California Performance
Lake Havasu City, AZ

Bobby Hart
928-855-5755
737.jpg

Back