Not sure what I've done, but when I click on the show new posts icon at the start of a thread, I get directed to random places within the thread. I also notice at the right hand side is the word permalink in brackets. Any idea what that is all about?

Similar Deal here Lee, also if I click to go back to the main forum would get message to say page unavailable, having said that its OK at moment.

Jac Mac

Hi Ron,

When I went online this morning [approx 4 hrs ago] I went to new posts first, checked Howards thread & post was 3or 4 back from latest( this is probably OK as they were previously unread by me. However then went to click Forum page & check tech threads & page came up cannot find (GT40) server. Click Back to howards thread and retry , same deal. Its all OK now.

Jac Mac

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
If it only did it once no worries - the server was on and off this afternoon until about 5pm EST. Lots of mis-served pages in that time.

Ron

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Ron
On list of posts the ones with new posts have a "Tick box" next to the name

I used to click on that and go to first unread post

It now does seem to drop me into the thread at random places - sometines at start (Welcome threads and Paddock) And others in the middle of the thread (Tech stuff)

I presumed too that the site was being worked on as on numerous occasions it could not be reached yesterday

cheers
Ian

Ron Earp

Admin
Sure it isn't is taking you to the last place you read? The software is supposed to take you to the last place in the thread you read and it has worked that way for a lon gtime. If you don't rememeber where you were in a thread it'll look random. For me, it takes me to the last post, in a thread, that I was reading on.

Now, if you click on threads you have not looked at in 30 days (might be shorter have to check) then it will take you to one end of the thread or the other since it doesn't track personal reading for longer than 30 days.

R

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Ron

That is how it used to work
I clicked on read first unread post when I opened this and it dumped me at the start of the thread. I posted immediately before you so your post should have been the first unread.

On the F1 is boring me thread that coupd be anywhere in 50 odd pages of thread!

Ian

Ron
It really is random. I've just caught up from about 6 hours ago. Read a few posts with no problem, but then went to the 'First RCR's in the UK post in the RCR forum. Had previously read up to post #23 which was posted on 29th September. Therefore it should have put me in at post #24 posted today, but instead it put in at post #1. And I definitely clicked on the 'go to first new post' tick. I was concentrating really hard on making sure I did it properly, just it case it was me doing something wrong.

I still have the 'problem' where it no longer remembers what is unread in a particular forum, if I do not visit it on a particular visit. So if I am away for a week, and can't catch up in one sitting, then on my next revisit I have to guess.

Sometimes it even times out during the first visit, so if I get involved in reading one forum, by the time I get to the next, all the unread marks have gone. They have not gone on the Forum front page - that still tells me there are unread posts in that forum, but when I enter the forum, there are apparently no unread posts, except I know that there are - somewhere. I have had this later issue with the new forum since it started, which I can live with. It just doesn't feel quite right.
All the best

Ron Earp

Admin
I'll have a look at it in a few weeks. I'm sort of burned out on forum issues - spent about an hour trying to track down a login problem for someone to find out they were using a Mac browser (which is fine) but with security/cookie settings in such a way it wouldn't behave as a "normal" browser should.

Also got a list of improvements to add that I want to do, but just limited on time.

Ron

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Ditto Lee's issues.
In addition I see a tick at the top left of page one of each thread that says 'view first unread post'. After reading post it disappears.

Last edited:
hello guys,
those who are wondering what the icons mean, i will just explain (oops btw i happen to be the one who installed that software)

First of all about the 4 small icons at the bottom, those are as someone rightly said pointing to the four major social networking/bookmarking sites that exist. What it basically means is that if you are a registered user in any of those sites, and you find a article/post here on the forums that interests you, then you just have to click the icon and you can save that post(bookmark it basically) Plus if you choose to have your bookmarks public, it would also mean that your link will be seen by lot of other people who might come here.

About the permalink (and on the bottom of the page you will sometimes see "linkbacks" ) they are basically telling you who all have linked to your post/thread.
For a better explanation see this
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/misc.php?do=linkbacks

those who blog regularly will already know about trackbacks :)

Back